Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

I Called a Plumber, Now I really need Help!

HELP! I'm NOT a plumber. And I don't play one on T.V.! UPDATE: I CALLED A PLUMBER, now I have questions(SEE bottom of post.)
We've lived in our house 2 years and have had a plumber "fix" our dripping shower faucet twice already. Now $300 later it is dripping yet again.
The house was built in the 60's and the plumbing is original. It is a two handle set-up. It is the hot water that drips from the faucet. The first time the plumber replaced the valve and handles. A few months later,
drip..drip..drip. The plumber wouldn't call us back so we called another guy who replaced the washers($200). A couple of months later it started dripping again. This is my son's bathroom so we have been making him go down to the basement and turn the hot water on and off down there. (Much to his chagrin!) Now it is dripping even when it is turned off at the basement. How can that be, and any ideas? I would like to try and repair this myself. My husband says "call the plumber, but I'd like to give it a whirl first! Any helpful tips would be much appreciated. (Or should I just go ahead and call the plumber?
UPDATE:10/2/08 My husband has been out of town and returns tonight, and I STILL haven't called a plumber! PLEASE help me fix this before he comes home! I have been working at it, and here is where I'm at: I've removed the packing nut and the washer(see picture of washer)
It looks good to me, but what do I know? It isn't flat or worn looking.
BTW the book says remove packing, which there wasn't any, and remove screw that holds washer, which there was no screw. It says to examine the stem, but I don't know if I am suppose to try and remove the stem.
It doesn't say how to do that, and there are no pictures. I think I see the valve seat, but I don't know if the strem comes out first. I have one of those ratchet and socket thing-ies, but can't get around the end of the stem to turn the ratchet. See pics of what tools I have, the washer, and
what I see when I'm looking "down the pipe"!
Thanks for any assistance. BTW: the handle at the basement shutoff feels damp
UPDATE 10/10/08 I surrender..I called a plumber! He told me over the phone that I need a new valve. He gave me an estimate of nearly $900 to replace the valve, and replace the trim with Delta Michael Graves designer(that's just what he uses.) It will go from a 2 knob to a single lever. He also has to create an access panel in a closet. I called another plumber for a second estimate. They suggested I go to the MOEN web site and pick out the trim and valve i want and then they will charge $300 to do the work, and will order the parts i use at a discount.
If I go with the second plumber the labor is $195 less, but I have the hassle of pickling this stuff out. They said Moen is more reliable in the long run than Delta.
QUESTION: I have spent hours looking at Moen. Should I convert to a single lever and have two silver doo-hickies covering the faucet holes, or should I choose trim that has two handles? Also, I'm thinking just the simplest valve, or is it best to get the pressure adjusting/temp.control valve? Any advise from all you wonderful plumbers would be so appreciated! I'm trying to keep the cost down, but don't want to sacrifice quality.

kswoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #2

If you hit "reply" to your own threads, you won't have to go in and edit every time you add something.

The handles is just a matter of preference. Unless you're re-doing everything in the shower, I think it would be best to use a fixture that utilizes the existing holes. It looks more deliberate and less like a retrofit.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the post tip! I thought maybe those that have already chimed in might not read it if they didn't read the update..
I'm new at this!
Any advice on what type of vale is best to choose?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
the Musigician

or just type into "quick reply" below this post and send.
i will always recommend pressure adjusting/temp.control valves! call me spoiled, i just like mine so much.... =o)

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #5

Moen is probably a little nicer than Delta, but either will get the job done just fine. Select based on your preference. Neither brand is inferior quality.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Man of many hats

Though I agree that upgrading to a new, single lever valve is a good way to go, it may not be your only option. From reading your post you stated that the first plumber replaced the 'valve' for $300, but I suspect that what he actually replaced was either just the washer or possibly the 'valve stem'. Though this was the right route to have taken at that time, it appears to have not solved the problem. You stated that you wanted to do it again yourself but was having problem understanding the parts and terminology. Take a look at this site. It has wonderful step-by-step instructions and pictures for what I think is your exact issue.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/p...er/replace.htm
I had a very similar problem with the hot supply side in my guest bath. I was having to replace the washer every few months. I finally replaced both the stem and valve seat with a proper hot water side stem and have since had no problems, though I will be replacing the entire valve down the road when I remodel the bath.
Your son may also be over-tightening the handle when he is finished showering. As he showers and hot water runs through the hot water side, it heats up the stem and washer making it easier to damage if it is over-tightened when turning off. This compresses the rubber washer at the end of the stem (see picture halfway down link with red arrow pointing to bottom of stem. I also think this is the part you said you could not locate in your original post) thus lessening it's lifespan and allowing drips.
HTH
Brett
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #7

Wrangler, that is a great site you directed me to. Very clear and consise. However, I can't get to the hex nut because the stem is too long for me to get a socket over. We have 20 different sizes, and none are long enough, and the hole in the tile is too small for me to get a wrench in there without destroying the tile. (You can look at my photo if you are interested.)

The valve and stem were not replaced in the past, just the washers and handles. The $300 I mentioned was the price recently quoted to me by plumber #2 for the labor only, to replace valve and trim that I purchase.

So ready to get my teen son out of my bathroom and back into his own!

At this point I think it is best that a plumber come here and look at it, and quit diagnosing it over the phone!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #8

Okay, I can relate to the sockets NOT fitting. TRY THIS,,,take a long,deep impact socket and stick it over the stem letting it(the stem) stick out the center hole. NOW, take a pipe wrench or good vise grip and turn the outside of the socket. It is probABLLY what a plumber would do anyway. alot of sockets will fit that way,,,BEST to use a 6 sided socket rather than the 12 point sockets,,less stripping possible. when you get the inside packing nut off,,, temp put the handle back on to turn the threads back out. DONT gooper those threads or your handles wont be right. SE not ALL that hard.!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Man of many hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswoot View Post
Wrangler, that is a great site you directed me to. Very clear and consise. However, I can't get to the hex nut because the stem is too long for me to get a socket over. We have 20 different sizes, and none are long enough, and the hole in the tile is too small for me to get a wrench in there without destroying the tile. (You can look at my photo if you are interested.)

The valve and stem were not replaced in the past, just the washers and handles. The $300 I mentioned was the price recently quoted to me by plumber #2 for the labor only, to replace valve and trim that I purchase.

So ready to get my teen son out of my bathroom and back into his own!

At this point I think it is best that a plumber come here and look at it, and quit diagnosing it over the phone!
There are tools made just for this purpose. I think from your posts that you may have them. I was going to give you my number to talk you though it, but the site will not let me as i Have less than 20 POSTS.

wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote