Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Share |

I am repair-challenged and need some help with a faucet leak

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have a no-name Home Deport two-handled bathroom sink faucet with dripping issues.

I have been trying to use online resources to figure out what type of replacement parts (or cartridge) I need to fix the leak, but every photo or schematic I see looks different from my setup.

I have the handle off (no set screws, the "bell" part of the handle it unscrewed directly from the faucet base) and can't figure out what to do next. There appears to be no locking nut to loosen to get at the cartridge or innards, and I am at an impasse.

If you are knowledgeable and can offer some help by eyeballing the attached photo, I'd be grateful for your help.

Thanks,

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
I am repair-challenged and need some help with a faucet leak-picture-001.jpg  

Tim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Is there a screw head inside the red stem?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Yes, there is a Phillips screw head inside the red stem. When I turn the screw, the red stem also turns (and when the H2O line is not cut off, this also opens and closes the H2O flow). I can get it to the "fully closed" and "fully open" positions, but would have to force it to go any further, and I didn't want to do that.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim from Boston View Post
Yes, there is a Phillips screw head inside the red stem. When I turn the screw, the red stem also turns (and when the H2O line is not cut off, this also opens and closes the H2O flow). I can get it to the "fully closed" and "fully open" positions, but would have to force it to go any further, and I didn't want to do that.
First, you must have the water off at the valves under the sink. Then relieve the water pressure at the faucet by turning it on. Now remove the phillips screw and gently remove the red stem and whatever else comes out with it. Give us a picture of your findings. I'm not a faucet pro but a few guys here know their stuff so hang in there.
don't worry about the stem rotating. It will stop, the remove the screw
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #5

Thank you for the help.

The red stem has been removed.

However, using a needlenose pliers, I was unable to remove the white protruding piece that was underneath the stem (photos attached).

It did not pull straight up, nor did it seem able to unscrew if I twisted it.

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
I am repair-challenged and need some help with a faucet leak-picture-002.jpg   I am repair-challenged and need some help with a faucet leak-picture-003.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Looks like a moen 1224 cartridge

You'll need to unscrew the little retainer with the two notches in it. There's a tool for doing it, but i've gotten them out with a flathead screwdriver before. Be very careful, if you break it (it's plastic) you will be HOSED.

Once you get the retainer out, the cartridge will pull out. Sometimes I thread a long screw into the cartridge stem to give me something to grab onto.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Doing it myself

here's what the tool looks like :

Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

Alan is correct. It is Moen and my guess is its a tub your working on. Use the tool Alan has shown to remove the lock down ring then put the screw you removed back into the cartridge to give you something to grab and pull the cartridge straight out. Dont try to force it. If it wont come out you can buy a cartridge puller for Moen.
drain surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #9

I bought the "tool" (if you could call it that) but this cheapo metal sleeve doesn't really bite down into the grooves to give it the proper torque.

Tried attaching the tool to vise grips for better leverage, but this retainer still won't budge.

Is it safe to use WD40 or PB Blaster in there? (meaning will it come into contact with water I might eventually drink?)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

The plastic retainer lock was totally corroded. The tool stripped it and I chipped out as much as I could intact. I was warned not to break it, but it was not coming out any other way.

Got the cartridge out. Slipped the new one in. Put the remainder of the corroded retainer back in as best I could.

Re-assembled the handle, and now there is no resistance to the "off" position. Handle swings freely all the way around.

Please help if you can...I'm ready to call a plumber here and hand this over to a pro and would at least like to know if I need a whole new faucet (not a Moen) or if this botched job can be salvaged.

Thx,

Tim
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim from Boston View Post
The plastic retainer lock was totally corroded. The tool stripped it and I chipped out as much as I could intact. I was warned not to break it, but it was not coming out any other way.

Got the cartridge out. Slipped the new one in. Put the remainder of the corroded retainer back in as best I could.

Re-assembled the handle, and now there is no resistance to the "off" position. Handle swings freely all the way around.

Please help if you can...I'm ready to call a plumber here and hand this over to a pro and would at least like to know if I need a whole new faucet (not a Moen) or if this botched job can be salvaged.

Thx,

Tim

Did you put the red stem back in? That's the purpose of the red stem extension. It has a notched side and that is what stops the handle from turning all the way around. Is the notch broken off of it?

P.S. you can buy a new retainer for the faucet. It should come as part of a stem extension kit for a moen faucet.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #12

Thank you Alan (other others) for posting to try and help.

I'm now officially in over my head on this one. The brand new cartridge broke in two when I took it out to re-insert it. And to make matters worse, when I turn on the cold water, it is now coming up through the opening where the hot water cartridge and handle used to be (this didn't happen before).

Time for a beer or eight to relieve stress, and will call a plumber tomorrow.

I envy you guys who know what you're doing on here!