Hydro Jetting Resulted In Minor Leak - Going To Be A Problem Or Not? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 286

Hydro jetting resulted in minor leak - going to be a problem or not?

I had a slow draining kitchen sink (though not clogged, partial clog I guess) and decided to give hydro jetting a shot to clean the drain rather than just snaking it to clean it better if that really is the case. Though maybe the jetting wasn't necessary based on what happened.

The plumber jetted from the roof vent, but that didn't seem to fix it, so he then followed up with removing the p trap and snaking the line under the sink. The snaking did the job (with or without the combination of the hydro jet).

But the jetting resulted in some water leaking out some areas along the base of the wall by the kitchen & laundry area (laundry addition was added in back of kitchen). I estimate it was about 1 quart to half gallon of water that leaked after cleaned up with rags and dumping water in a bucket. Good thing the flooring was tile so was easy to spot & deal with the leak.

I've not done hydro jetting before but such a minor leak is still a bit alarming. Is jetting susceptible to resulting in minor leaks (even in small cases if this is not common)? Would it be something I should be worried about as big concern? In any case, I'll monitor the area when sink & washer is used.

I asked the plumber about it and he said it shouldn't be an issue, that such a force & amount of water from the jetting could cause some water to leak out the pipe joints where the glue joins the pipes, and if there was pipe damage, we'd see much more water leaking out.

Just wanted input from plumbers here on that respect so I can gauge how much trouble I'm going to have to deal with or not. If a true problem, I'd have to tear up walls to get at & repair the pipes

By the way, I tried looking this up online, and you only find info about how good hydro jetting is but nothing about leaks or any issues with hydro jetting.

Advertisement

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

No leaking is acceptable behind a wall.
Old steel or cast iron pipes?

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

No idea, maybe. Can't tell w/o opening up the walls. Is there another way to tell? What's exposed at plumbing endpoints throughout the house is plastic.

The vents at roof and in the attic from what I can see, look plastic, though one or two could have been other may have been greyish. Are plumbing vents always plastic? If not, any pics of plumbing vents for me to compare with mine in the attic?

Last edited by daluu; 04-11-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,690

If it's plastic you either have a bad joint or unglued joint behind your cabinet. Yhen again it could have been the mess left by the jetter.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Jetting from a roof vent that in itself tells me that the person jetting has no clue on what he's doing, jetter are a great tool in the hands of the right person the wrong one can cause more harm than good.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Javiles, so where should the jetting be done? At the clean out? Unfortunately for me, the kitchen clean out is in the family room addition (which used to be part of the back yard). Plumber said it would make a mess with all the dirty water coming out. If not for that, I would have asked to have it done at the clean out.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
Javiles, so where should the jetting be done? At the clean out? Unfortunately for me, the kitchen clean out is in the family room addition (which used to be part of the back yard). Plumber said it would make a mess with all the dirty water coming out. If not for that, I would have asked to have it done at the clean out.

Tricks of the trade would need to see how your home is laid out. jetters clean on the way out not in, jetting may have not been needed in your case,

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Tricks of the trade would need to see how your home is laid out. jetters clean on the way out not in, jetting may have not been needed in your case,
Thanks for the clarification. So that generally means at the cleanouts toward the main sewer line and we jet back into the affected sub-line(s) that connect to the main that are clogged?

Advertisement