Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Hum in the wall behind sink.

1) I have a steady hum in the wall I believe behind a bathroom sink. It's a constant pitch somewhere above 60Hz. Turning the faucet on and off will alter the sound but it returns back to the original hum.

2) The sound goes away when I turn off the water to my home.

3) A small coolish stream continues with the faucet on and the water to the house still off (1 hour +) No water comes out of any of the other faucets except for a little drip out of one of them in another bathroom.

4) When I have that 2nd slow drip faucet on (and water to the house off), the original problem faucet (with the hum) now only drips. If I turn the 2nd faucet back off, then the original problem faucet starts it's steady coolish stream again.

5) With the house water off, I haven't seen the water meter move. I'm not sure what the water source is. (hot water heater, ...?)

What does all of this point to? (air pressure...?) I want to have a good idea about it before I call a plumber. Plus, I would like to know basically how much this sort of repair should cost. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Two last things:
a) Is this something that requires immediate attention?
b) Finally, if I wait, should I only turn the house water on when I really need it? I don't want a water leak behind the wall causing expensive damage.

Thank you.

dprickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprickett View Post
a) Is this something that requires immediate attention?
b) Finally, if I wait, should I only turn the house water on when I really need it? I don't want a water leak behind the wall causing expensive damage.

Thank you.
Hi and welcome to diy.

a) I imagine I'd be finding the source real fast if it were my home.
b) I agree, keep it off until you know what's happening. Water damage can run into thousands easily.

DM

Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Handyman

What levels of the house are these faucets on? It may be that the continous dripping is just residual water in the pipes draining out. Unless ALL the faucets are open the pipes could take hours to drain. Open all faucets (including the basement) and the slow streaming and dripping should stop.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #4

If you wrap your fingers tightly around other pipes such as under other sinks or down in the basement, does the hum change or stop?

If you turn off the shut off valves under other sinks and also under toilets, does the hum change or stop?

A slow leak inside a toilet tank often goes unnoticed but sounds may give it away.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. After the family took a couple of showers the other night in bathroom without the problem, the humming disappeared and hasn't been back for 2 days now. I'm thinking maybe it was some sort of pressure build up that just got relieved. We'll see if the humming returns at a later date.
... oh and I live in Florida and don't have a basement.
dprickett is offline   Reply With Quote