Hroom Rough In - What Type Of Shower/Tub​? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hroom Rough In - What type of shower/Tub​?

My house was built with the plumbing for a bathroom roughed into our basement. I'm now attempting to refinish the basement and need assistance determining what type of shower/tub the rough in was built for. The drain is 31.5" to the center of the pipe from the first wall and 19" to the center of the pipe from the second wall. The vent pipe is 48'' from the first wall and 36'' from the second wall. Any ideas on what type of shower/tub this was designed for would be very much appreciated. I'm looking to complete my framing and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Drawing attached.
Attached Thumbnails
hroom Rough In - What type of shower/Tub​?-shower.jpg  

Advertisement

j_killmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

How big is the drain pipe? 2" is shower---1 1/2" is tub----

Looks like a shower to me----

Need an over all shot of the rough--toilet---shower/tub? --vanity---

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #3

Oh'mike - thanks for responding. The drain is 2". Attached is a larger drawing with the toilet drain and vent for the sink (I think). Am I correct in thinking the toilet and sink are along the right wall? Where is the sink drain?
Attached Thumbnails
hroom Rough In - What type of shower/Tub​?-shower2.jpg  

Last edited by j_killmeyer; 01-27-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

I have to go to work---that's a shower----Goofy place for that vent----really limits your shower pan options--

I'll have to leave the math to one of the plumbers ---no time right now---Mike---

We have a bunch of good folks here you will get an answer soon---Mike---
Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_killmeyer View Post
Oh'mike - thanks for responding. The drain is 2". Attached is a larger drawing with the toilet drain and vent for the sink (I think). Am I correct in thinking the toilet and sink are along the right wall? Where is the sink drain?
That is the sink drain on the most right in the "wall". You will install a "T" at the proper height and it will be "vent" above this. My question would be is where is the toilet vent? Do you have any inkling as to what direction this all runs? Is the shower vent also the toilet vent? That may be a bit far from the toilet if it is.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

B,

Ok, that makes sense about the sink - thanks for clarrifying that. I have no idea if the vent is used for both the toilet and shower - how would I go about finding that out? Could I possibly look into the vent to see if the pipe goes in two different directions?

Any idea about what size shower would fit in that space? The vent is only 16.5" from the vent but 19" off of the wall.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Are any of the walls concrete? A couple dimensions seem odd
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

The left wall is concrete the bottom wall is framed in from the garage and the right wall I just framed in (below the stairwell). I agree I can't figure out what type of shower they were planning on installing with the densions of the drain and vent on the left side of the diagram.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

I assume you'll be furring out the left wall- the shower drain rough in won't fit any standard unit so you'll have to do your own or move the trap. The toilet is a little too far from the garage wall but, doable. The vent pipe under the stairs is the toilet vent and also the lav drain- its final location is up to you. It can be moved down the wall some
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #11

The left wall is actually already framed out. The measurement is from the framing. So the vent on the right doubles as the toilet vent and the sink drain? Can this also be used as the sink vent?

Yea, I didn't see any standard showers that size. So I guess I will need to build it myself - thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

What about if I build a 3" wall along the left side that would make the left wall 16" from the center of the drain pipe. Since the vent is 16.5" from the center of the drain pipe I could then buy a corner shower 32" X 32" and have the opening face the bottom wall since I will have to build a wall around the vent. This would give me roughly 15" from the wall for the door to open. I'm very new to this, so your opion about if this is a good solution would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_killmeyer View Post
What about if I build a 3" wall along the left side that would make the left wall 16" from the center of the drain pipe. Since the vent is 16.5" from the center of the drain pipe I could then buy a corner shower 32" X 32" and have the opening face the bottom wall since I will have to build a wall around the vent. This would give me roughly 15" from the wall for the door to open. I'm very new to this, so your opion about if this is a good solution would be very helpful.

Thanks!
If it was me, I'd use a 36 x 48 shower. It would mean moving the trap but thats actually pretty easy- just takes a little bit of time with a small concrete hammer.
The shower vent would be concealed in the end wall- along with the valve.
As for the toilet vent- it is also the lav drain and vent. You can vent more then 1 fixture on a pipe-within reason. It needs to remain 2" though. Have you thought about how to get the vents out through the roof?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #14

That's a really good idea about the 36 X 48 shower. At least now I have a couple of ideas/options. As for getting the vents up through the ceiling - I have no idea. How is that usually done? I have a two story house with living space above this area. Can you vent out the side wall or does it have to be through the roof?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 526

If the vanity vent is also the toilet vent, that would make it a "wet" vent. I was always a little fuzzy on the dos and don'ts of wet venting. Does that vary between jurisdictions?

B

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote