Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?

As a new homeowner, husband and father in tough economy, I am learning fast how to save. In the process, I am now up against a plumbing job that I want to make sure I do my best. I am fairly handy, but don't understand the mechanics of plumbing flow and venting, so I need some direction from someone experienced.

First check the pics. It's all about the door. The current doorway is in a awkward living room space. To gain some wall area for seating, I am moving the bathroom door into the hallway. But I will then need to move sink and toilet plumbing for the new doorway in the hall.

Problem is, the vent comes right down where I want to put the door. The old sink was plumbed into the vent sideways and the vent terminates under the floor directly into the toilet waste pipe. I added pics of the crawl space.

I was thinking a 45 over enough to clear for the new door, but how to I vent in the toilet and sink at their new locations?

The toilet is going to go where the old door was. The sink will be to the right on the same wall as toilet. The shower is to the left of new toilet location. Waste runs left to right in the crawl. How do I tie everything in? I was researching wet vent concept, but how can I do that on one wall and pipe in sink drain under the house? Wouldn't that defeat the wet vent?

Check my pics and see if you have any suggestions. Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-001.jpg   How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-dscn0541.jpg   How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-dscn0543.jpg   How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-dscn0534.jpg   How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-dscn0537.jpg  

Last edited by luvdairish; 04-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.
luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 538

great description but can you give a few pics from staning back to get whole wall where you want everything to go then do the same to pipes in basement so we can see where shower ties in to where toilet goes threw floor
also can you get into attic if needed

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

Unfortunately I don't know where your hallway is or which picture you refer to when you say "left to right".
But it seems like you could rebuild the toilet and lav piping pretty much the same at the new location and reconnect the vent to the existing vent in the attic.
Is the shower vented separately? Is it served by the wye that is after the toilet?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #4

I added some cleaner pics. It might be the best I can do.

PIC #1 = from living room, showing doorway I want to move. The hallway where I want to move the door, is to the left just past the baby gate. You can see the shower stall inside the bathroom to the right in this picture

PIC #2 = from inside the bathroom. Shower stall is to my left. It is a small bathroom, so its very tough getting good angle pictures. In this pic you can see part of the doorway I plan on moving. You can also see where the vent pipe is coming down and tee for old sink location. The vent continues through floor and ties directly into toilet waste pipe (PIC #4, but you can't see clearly because beam and a little insulation in the way). See the sawzall blade? That is the wall where the new sink will go. The new toilet will be pretty much centered in the doorway that I am moving.

PIC #3 = panning right from pic 2. This clearly shows old toilet location (aka new door location). You can see the vent pipe is in line with the toilet? That is because it connects to that same waste pipe under the house (see PIC#4). I want to install new 24 inch door here, so I probably only need to 45 the vent to move it over a few inches. It doesn't matter where the vent goes on this wall as long as I can put the door there. I cannot move the vent to the other wall. There is a bedroom directly above this bathroom with no wall for the vent to travel through

PIC #4 = under the house below the bathroom. This is taken from same direction as if I was in PIC #1, but under the house. Shower stall is plumbed to the right (seen completely in PIC #5). Toilet is next fixture to the left directly above cleanout. Vent comes straight down through floor a few inches (hidden by beam and insulation) and connects with toilet fixture (remember they are lined up in PIC #3 ? , then enters wye into main waste line. The next wye to the left is for old washer hookup and can/will be ripped out during this project.

PIC #5 = shows far right where the shower is plumbed. There is no vent there, so all venting is done through the one vent I am trying to move for the new door.

BTW....I was checking about venting kitchen sink in island and think that might be the type of idea to implement here, but I can't seem to put it all together on paper in confidence.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks all
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

What is your ceiling joists framed with?

Island vent is not for this application.

Last edited by TheEplumber; 04-06-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added comment
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

See if this pic makes sense or is possible-
Cut in a new 3" wye in the crawl and repipe the toilet and lav as I show- basically the same configuration but in new location- black and red lines are new pipes. The end of the red connects to the building dran in the crawl.
At the ceiling, run the vent through a couple ceiling joists, 90 it into the old vent
Attached Thumbnails
How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-toilet-move.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
See if this pic makes sense or is possible-
Cut in a new 3" wye in the crawl and repipe the toilet and lav as I show- basically the same configuration but in new location- black and red lines are new pipes. The end of the red connects to the building dran in the crawl.
At the ceiling, run the vent through a couple ceiling joists, 90 it into the old vent
That makes sense and is much simpler than I was imagining. Would it be a problem for vent to have that many 90s?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,530

NO problem what ever.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

Thanks for all the help!! So, I started moving things along and was doing good until I hit a snag . It seems my plan to vent 1.5" into 1.5x3 sanitary tee under the house, then 45 street into 3" wye, will put me lower than existing waste line.

Here is my original plan that won't work:

Here is another angle showing existing waste line:

Any suggestions how to tackle this?
Attached Thumbnails
How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-orignal-plan.jpg   How to vent toilet, sink and shower on vent located on different wall?-other-angle.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Try a 90 instead of the clean out and combo.
Then put the clean out downstream of the 90 a foot or so- put the clean out on the wye branch
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,530

Use a ST 90. As long as your vertical with it no code issues.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Try a 90 instead of the clean out and combo.
Then put the clean out downstream of the 90 a foot or so- put the clean out on the wye branch
That would definitely do it, just wasn't sure if that would be too many sharp turns . But that's why I rely on your expert advice. Thanks so much again for the help.