Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How to test a sump pump

We've been in our house for about 5.5 years, and have never had a problem with water in the basement -- until today.

Had heavy rain the last several days. Wife went into the basement this morning to find about half an inch in my office and a bunch of wet boxes in our storeroom.

When I got home from work and started working on cleanup, it struck me that I didn't hear the sump pump kick in at all after working several hours. Sump pump is in the storeroom so if it started I would have heard it.

Checked the outlet, it's still good. Cord goes down into the pump. I don't see any switches or buttons. Is there a way to test the pump to see if it works? Only thing I see on top of the pump is a plastic cap.

It was a very hard rain, it's possible it just was beyond pump capacity, but I'm wondering if it has died. House is about 20 years old, not sure if the pump is still original equipment but I assume it is.

sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
DIY staff

How to test a sump pump

There has to be a float switch---lift it up! Should turn on--

If the pump has two power cords coming out--one plugged into the other---that means you have a separate switch--unplug them--seperate the cords and plug in the single cord--if the pump fires up--you have a dead switch.

Pump impellers can wear out too--if the pump sounds like it is working but no water is pumped--
the impeller is worn or the pipe is blocked--(bad back flow valve--frozen or blocked outlet pipe)

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #3

How to test a sump pump

A few buckets of water poured into the pit should activate the pump I'd say. Or run a hose from drain bib of water heater if you've one into the pit. Always good to drain off some sediment periodically anyhow.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote