How Stop Whining Noise From Bathroom Faucet? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How stop whining noise from bathroom faucet?

Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying squealing noise from my Kohler Ellington widespread bathroom faucet? It's much worse on the hot side, but it occurs on cold too, though not always. It gets higher in pitch with more water pressure. It usually goes away after a minute or two.

I've tried a LOT of things to resolve the issue, nothing is working! Here's a few things I have tried:

- Removed the aerator (which is new, anyway)
- I did not remove the cartridge, because I'm not sure how on this faucet. But instead, I REPLACED the entire hot water valve/handle assembly, including its flexible hose, with another one just like it.
- Checked the T-connector for the hot/cold hoses for signs of blockage. It has a new washer.
- Opened up the faucets in the house, turned off master valve to let air out
- Tied down the hot water pipe with metal straps, so it isn't loose in the wall

I don't recall any such whining noise with my previous faucet. Is the Kohler just a poor design; I find that hard to believe? FWIW, there are two points on this design where the openings are reduced. But it appears to be part of the design (it is the same on both sets of faucets) so I can't change that.

One is in the faucet itself. It's behind the aerator, it looks like a permanent washer, so it restricts the flow of pressure. But it can't be removed. I believe it's there to allow the aerator to sit snugly against it. The other is under the hot/cold valve, where the hose fits. The hole there is 75% closed by a metal piece, that is permanently fixed.

Advertisement

Morris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris C. View Post
Can anyone help me get rid of this annoying squealing noise from my Kohler Ellington widespread bathroom faucet? It's much worse on the hot side, but it occurs on cold too, though not always. It gets higher in pitch with more water pressure. It usually goes away after a minute or two.

I've tried a LOT of things to resolve the issue, nothing is working! Here's a few things I have tried:

- Removed the aerator (which is new, anyway)
- I did not remove the cartridge, because I'm not sure how on this faucet. But instead, I REPLACED the entire hot water valve/handle assembly, including its flexible hose, with another one just like it.
- Checked the T-connector for the hot/cold hoses for signs of blockage. It has a new washer.
- Opened up the faucets in the house, turned off master valve to let air out
- Tied down the hot water pipe with metal straps, so it isn't loose in the wall

I don't recall any such whining noise with my previous faucet. Is the Kohler just a poor design; I find that hard to believe? FWIW, there are two points on this design where the openings are reduced. But it appears to be part of the design (it is the same on both sets of faucets) so I can't change that.

One is in the faucet itself. It's behind the aerator, it looks like a permanent washer, so it restricts the flow of pressure. But it can't be removed. I believe it's there to allow the aerator to sit snugly against it. The other is under the hot/cold valve, where the hose fits. The hole there is 75% closed by a metal piece, that is permanently fixed.
did you rule out your shut off valves ...open faucet while its running shut off valve and reopen it....see if anything changes...

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
did you rule out your shut off valves ...open faucet while its running shut off valve and reopen it....see if anything changes...
That was #4 on my list: " Opened up the faucets in the house, turned off master valve to let air out "
-
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

is this a new faucet? if so just return it. the restriction you mentioned is prob the source. close the shutoffs to limit the amount of water that you can get. you might have to go to a different faucet. i used to hate installing kohler faucets.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is this a new faucet? if so just return it. the restriction you mentioned is prob the source. close the shutoffs to limit the amount of water that you can get. you might have to go to a different faucet. i used to hate installing kohler faucets.
No, it's not a new faucet, it's probably a couple of years old, so can't return it (nor do I want to, because there's no other who's style I would prefer). I've already tried lowering the pressure, that did not eliminate the problem. The restriction I mentioned in the faucet and the brass hot/cold valves is part of the design... the Ellington gets generally good reviews, and since I don't see others with the same problem, I'm going to assume it isn't the design of the faucet itself. In fact, I more or less solved the problem, read on....

I'm fortunate to have a second identical faucet system to play around with. Since swapping out the hot valve with another did not work, I kept the second hot valve installed, but swapped out the spout with my second spout. That definitely seemed to make a difference. The whining on the hot valve became more of a humming noise, and this noise was lower than the noise of the water flowing. So not as annoying. Then I realized it was really vibration-based, and I could locate the vibrations to the hot water hose, around where it is connected to the T-connector. Shifting angle of the spout and consequently the position of the two water-mixing hoses underneath, changed the frequency of the vibrations and humming noise.

So I have now reduced the humming noise to a barely perceptible level, by wrapping a generous amount of teflon tape around the end of the flexible hose that goes into the hot water side of the t connector.

I hope this helps someone, because all of the research that I did beforehand on faucet noises, nothing mentioned this! Most said it had to be a washer, or vibrations from the water pipes.

Last edited by Morris C.; 10-01-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

If it has a flexible feed line---perhaps that is the source of the noise----a kink---play with the lines--straighten the bends as you listen to the noise.
Morris C. (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If it has a flexible feed line---perhaps that is the source of the noise----a kink---play with the lines--straighten the bends as you listen to the noise.
SOLVED PART 2: YES, you are correct. I just figured that out a few minutes ago, that the problem is for sure coming from the flexible hoses that connect to the t-connector. Turns out the problem was not exactly "SOLVED" by changing the spout for another one. Once I installed everything correctly, there were still humming noises. (The HOT side had actually reduced to an acceptable level, but now the COLD side was almost whistling like a tea kettle!)

I think I finally did solve the problem, with a twist tie! I pushed the two hoses upward, so they create less of a bend, and held them in place with a twist tie hanging from the t-connector. The result is, I can barely hear traces of the noise on either hot or cold.

I can't believe I spent two days taking absolutely everything apart, redoing the plumbers putty etc etc., and all I had to do was fit a twist tie, without removing anything! D'oh!

Last edited by Morris C.; 10-01-2012 at 04:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morris C. For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Been there---why do you think I guessed the answer?

Advertisement