Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to set a heavy tub on mortar

I ordered an American Standard Cambridge tub which is an "Americast" tub and weighs about 142 lbs. Expect receipt in about 3 weeks. On the American Standard website, "Ask The Expert" link for the Cambridge tub, customer service said although a mortar bed is not necessary for the Cambridge tub, they do recommend that it be set on a mortar bed for best support.

The Cambridge is an alcove tub to be installed with walls on 3 sides. My question is "How does one set a 142 lb alcove tub on a bed of mortar when there's access to only the one apron side of the tub? Seems pretty hard to lift 142 lbs from the apron side only and set it in place.

I posted this question on the American Standard website but customer service has not answered in over 2 weeks. I asked on another website without any luck yet. Can anyone on this forum explain how to do it?

Thanks,
HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 01-12-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #2

After you have dry fitted your tub and built the support ledger (or whatever the manual says) lay the tub on the apron side on top of some padding. You should be able to roll it over into place (2 men is best) resting the back onto the ledger. Check to make sure the tub is in the right position- done deal. Sometimes it works best to install the waste and overflow first. Makes final hook up easier

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Household Handyman

I was on a job-site working with a trim carpenter, when the plumber had this same situation. I offered to help him but we found it difficult to hold the tub and put it in place during a couple of "dry runs". Then I had an idea: We took pieces of small trim, put regular duct tape on the underside of the tub, going way under, then wrapped the tape around the pieces of trim, way above the back side of the tub's edge. The trim gave us the handles we needed, the duct tape held better than we anticipated, and the tub rolled back into place so easy. He then trimmed the tape with a razor knife at the top of the tub edge, which was to be covered with sheet rock and a sealant, and it never showed. Simple but effective. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
After you have dry fitted your tub and built the support ledger (or whatever the manual says) lay the tub on the apron side on top of some padding. You should be able to roll it over into place (2 men is best) resting the back onto the ledger. Check to make sure the tub is in the right position- done deal. Sometimes it works best to install the waste and overflow first. Makes final hook up easier
The Cambridge tub does require a support ledger along the long backside of the tub. Your method sounds like the best way to do it! I'll try placing the apron on a long 2x4 and roll the tub into place. That should allow placement without disturbing the mortar bed in a negative way. Then remove the 2x4 and squish the tub down until the backside rests on the ledger and the apron rests on the floor.

Regarding installing the waste and overflow first. Since this install will be on a concrete slab in an alcove with 3 existing walls, and the drain side is back-to-back with an existing tub on the other side of the wall, there won't be a way to access the drain once the tub is in place. --- I'll have to dry fit the drain and overflow flanges first, and then hook both up after the tub is set in place. Should be quite a challenge for me to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I was on a job-site working with a trim carpenter, when the plumber had this same situation. I offered to help him but we found it difficult to hold the tub and put it in place during a couple of "dry runs". Then I had an idea: We took pieces of small trim, put regular duct tape on the underside of the tub, going way under, then wrapped the tape around the pieces of trim, way above the back side of the tub's edge. The trim gave us the handles we needed, the duct tape held better than we anticipated, and the tub rolled back into place so easy. He then trimmed the tape with a razor knife at the top of the tub edge, which was to be covered with sheet rock and a sealant, and it never showed. Simple but effective. Good Luck, David
Thanks for that tip! I think it will be invaluable when we roll the tub into position.

Thanks to you both... ,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote