Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to run fridge water line under kitchen floor?

Just after buying our new home the fridge water supply line broke. The water line runs from the the sink supply under the floor to the fridge.

I need some suggestions on how to run the new line. The floor is hardwood and cannot be removed. I was hoping the old line was intact so I could have connected the new line to the old and threaded it though that way, but it isn't. The old line is broke.

My initial thinking is some kind of rigid wire and a lot of patience.

Any genius ideas? Thanks

travishume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

I can't speak for everyone, but I would need a lot more info before I could suggest something - Oh, and my disclaimer says there is NO gaurantee it'll be anything close to genius (Mensa makes me ad this)

Anyway, Does the old line run below the floor to a place completely inaccessible? Could you hide a new line behind the cabinets?

Is there a water supply pipe closer to the fridge you could maybe tap?

How far away is the fridge, what is the orientation of the rest of the kitchen? Do you have access below the floor or above?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #3

The old line runs from the sink supply, down a hole, under the hardwood for about 10' and comes up a hole near the wall behind the fridge. At least, that's where it used to run.

Whoever originally ran the line did not use a single piece of tubing and it came apart at the connection (I think).

There isn't any access through the floor or from below. I basically need to feed the tube under the floor, across the room and up the other side. I'm just not sure how to accompilsh that.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Fishtape (normally used to pull electrical cable)? I've seen them used to pull small diameter hose in more of an industrial type setting (univeristy research center). It would depend on what the entrence and exit holes in floor where like (or how much you could modify them) and where exactly under the floor the line is being run. This is similar to the rigid wire idea you had, but not so prone to kinking.

If it doesn't seem like that would work, posting a picture may be your best bet to getting more advice, since its really hard to picture just how the old line was run.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I should also say that small diameter PE tubing can often be fished by itself, although it comes coiled so it will have a tendacy to want to curl back up again. I've always seen copper tube used on icemakers (although I haven't seen any recently installed ones), but I think PE tubing should be fine, and be much easier to pull (in addition to being much cheaper). If I'm wrong about this then hopefully a real plumber can correct me.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sorry to inform you of this, but, unless the fridge sets on the same wall is the kitchen sink, which you indicated it don't, your out of luck on fishing that line through two holes in the floor.

Here is a thought, does the wall the fridge sets against have a bathroom or plumbing on the other side of that wall?
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #7

Unfortunately, there isn't a bathroom or any plumbing I know of on that side of the fridge.

I had a chat with the previous owner and he had the line isntalled about 8 years ago. So whoever installed it do so by fishing a line across the kitchen under the floor.

I'll look into the fish tape. Never used it, but I have heard of it. Thanks for reminding me.

Here's a picture showing the kitchen (not the best, but should give you a better idea) On the left is the sink. The hole goes down into the floor below the sink and another hole is behind the fridge against the wall where the tubing comes back up.

http://lh3.google.com/travis.hume/RP...jpg?imgmax=800

Last edited by travishume; 09-03-2006 at 08:14 PM. Reason: changed "is a bathroom" to "isn't a bathroom" in 1st sentence
Old 09-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #8

Got your picture to work with this link http://lh3.google.com/travis.hume/RP...w/IMG_7806.jpg
pa555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Did you get the new line installed?
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #10

Sorry for not following up.

No, not yet. I've been spending my time working on the house I need to sell first. I'm drowning in mortgages! I will definitely let y'all know how it goes. Maybe this weekend.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
They're all fixer-uppers

Your pic link is down. It wouldn't at all be possible to hide the line under or behind the cabinets? It may be easier than trying to fish a line under a floor. Sometimes, the bottom plates of cabinets can be easily removed and you could run the line under there. I'm still confused as to how you intend to fish the line from ONE walll where the fridge apparently is to a DIFFERENT wall? Maybe the pic would have helped me.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #12

Sorry the picture link was so fubar. Anyway, we tried to run a new line under the floor using a fish tape w/out any luck. I don't know how they managed it. I think I'll just try and hire someone to do it.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

Repost to try to get the picture link working.

Last edited by Double A; 09-19-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #14
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

Travis, you say there is space below the floor. Is this a crawl space? I can't belive that there is a crawl space under this kitchen with absolutely no access to it.

Are you sure you can't just go in the scuttle hole door and crawl over to this area to fish that new water line?
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
They're all fixer-uppers

Why can't we come out of the sink, down the cabinet and over to the doorway. Cut a small trench along the transition across to the fridge and install a threshold over it?