Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
hobbsInVancouver

Share |

How to rotate this t joint on drain?

Hi. The first step in my reno of our mudroom will be to move the laundry sink. It drains through a T joint currently coming off the main drain pipe to the right. I want it join the same pipe from the left. Pictures attached.

So, is this something a diy'er with little plumbing experience can do? What's the best plan? Do I loosen the T joint with a blow torch, rotate it then dose it with fresh solder? Or is it better to cut the T joint out and fasten something new in there, pex or a new copper joint. The vertical drain pipe is coming from the kitchen sink, if that matters.

I'm sure I can handle moving the hot and cold feeds, I plan to use sharkbite connectors with pex tubing, only moving the sink about 4 feet.

Thanks much, any advice is appreciated.

c

Name:  IMG_2753.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2754.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  61.1 KB

hobbs in vanvouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Remodeler

The easiest way is to cut out the joint and redo it all with PVC. Cut the vertical pipe a couple of inches above and below the tee joint, and take the whole joint out. Then redo everything with PVC, which is cheap and MUCH easier to work with than copper for DWV, and you can connect the plastic to the existing copper using banded couplings, which tighten by screwdriver. So you will not have to solder anything.

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
hobbsInVancouver

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. Much appreciated adpanko. Cheers, c.
hobbs in vanvouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Remodeler

One final thought - I just noticed you said you are moving the sink about 4 feet. When you redo the horizontal pipe running into the tee, use 2" PVC, not 1.5" because code says you can only run 1.5" 2 feet (I think it is 2 feet; might be slightly more or less, I'd have to check) without having a vent for the fixture you are draining. 2" pipe gives you a lot more distance before needing a vent. Something like 8 to 10 feet I think (again, I'd have to look up the specifics, but I know it is more than what distance you need from looking at the picture). It looks like you currently have 1.5" copper draining into 2" copper. Redo it all w/ 2" PVC and you're fine.

Last edited by adpanko; 02-14-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

you need to keep the same material in that vertical stack so that means sweating in a new 1 1/2" copper santee and a couple copper slip couplings.im not sure what your local code calls for on reventing you might want to move your sink closer to avoid it.Anyway run your waste arm in 1 1/2" pipe it can be pvc attached to a short stub of copper coming off the santee with a no-hub type coupling(no fernco ) going to 2" pipe would be funneling which is ilegal in most places.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #6

For my benefit, can you explain why it would be funneling? It looks like a 2" stack so I don't see the problem.

Thanks,
Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

i was referring to tying it back into the existing 1 1/2" san tee,youre absolutely right it would be fine if he can find a 2x2x2 san tee to stick back in there.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

the best thing there is it isn't pressured water running just atmosp.drain water thru it.wire brush all 3 soldered joints before lighting the torch and paint them once around with some flux.keep the torch about 2" off the flat part of the tee waving it once or twice to the fitting to get turned on .set up a channel locks to fit the tee and give it a slow twist to the new direction then wipe all 3 joints with the solder...you done..........
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
you need to keep the same material in that vertical stack so that means sweating in a new 1 1/2" copper santee and a couple copper slip couplings.
Do you really have to have the same material on the stack? When I redid my kitchen two years back (in NJ), the plumber basically did exactly what I was describing for this fellow to do - cut out a copper tee from a 2" copper stack, replumb the whole section of stack with PVC attached via banded couplings, etc. It all passed inspection with no comment about the change in materials at all. Our town goes off of the 2006 NSPC.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

You run into differant expansion rates of the differant materials ison reason,the biggest problem ive seen arises when somebody chops out a piece of cast iron from a stack and substitutes pvc which in turn ends up supporting the weight of all the cast iron above it.I guess it alldepends where you are and how bad the inspector wants to complain!