How To Remove Supply Valve From Radiator Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to remove supply valve from radiator pipe?

I need some helpful suggestions (other than call a plumber - where's the fun in that?) for removing the old supply valves from my one pipe steam system.

I have to get them off - they leak and I want to have the system cleaned out before the heating season starts.

I have pipe wrenches and a blow torch, I've sweated copper before, but I haven't ever worked on anything this beefy. What I need are some concrete ideas about how to proceed.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Good advice? Bad Advice?

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you get a good bite on the valve and then the riser into it get black or galvinized cut pieces to slip over both wrenches.set them up so you have both set up so you have a foot on the riser wrench(hold back with your foot) and your hand on the valve wrench with extension.get the riser wrench uo to just below the threads into the valve(but not on them).so if your right handed you should be sitting on the floor with your left foot up on the hold back and pulling on the valve...should break loose...give it some heat at the treads if required might have black PERMATEX from the original install.like rowing a boat the pipe extensions (2'-30'will give you the force ...you want the wrenchs set as close to the threads RISER and threads into the VALVE as can be

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If you are trying to remove the valve from the radator you need a tool called a spud wrench. The nipple with the union nut that goes into the radiator has 2 tits in the inside of the pipe. The spud wrench will lock on those two tits and you should be able to remove it
hvacclinic is offline   Reply With Quote