Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

How to remove soldered cap on my bathroom shower flange?

Dear all, thanks for helping out in advance...

I have a old bath that we are trying to get the shower function back. Here is what the bath looks like now (notice the top of the picture there is a shower flange which was painted...):

It looks like a copper cap was soldered. I have tried to use some tools to remove the cap but failed. Here is a zoomed in photo for the flange:

My questions:
1. What tool (or procedure) should I use to remove the cap so that I can test it out to see if the pipes still work?

2. If it is not a shower flange, can we still somehow install shower pipes without damage the current tiles??

Thanks!

ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #2

By the way, found this relevant article online but no conclusive answer:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7080432AAtcEH5

Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

did the wrench scrape the paint off to show copper put a magnet to it....you might consider drilling a hole in the cap and threading in a fitting to take a shower head pipe.a plumber would open up that area around the cap and swet in a new fitting so you could screw in a pipe out with a chrome plate cover...i would bet that line is active when you turn that middle selection knob diverting the water
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If I had to guess, that has a short galvanized steel (or brass) nipple with a cap, screwed on to the drop ear elbow (like this - http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...Drop-Ear-Elbow; also look at step 5 picture from this link http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbin...r-tub-faucets/)

If that was me, I would;

1. Make sure the water is turned off

2. take a sharp utility knife and score around it to break any paint and/or caulk seal(s)

3. use a pair of large adjustable pliers (or small pipe wrench) and gently try to turn it counter-clockwise

4. if that doesn't work, make the opening slightly larger with a utility knife so that I can squirt in some WD-40 and try again

5. if that doesn't work, the nipple might be soldered on to the drop ear elbow. in that case, I would have to heat the fitting with my torch to melt the solder. To do that, I would need to make a large square cutout of the sheetrock to gain some working room.

Good luck

Last edited by allthumbsdiy; 09-14-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: additional ref link
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
you might consider drilling a hole in the cap and threading in a fitting to take a shower head pipe.

LOL WUT?

It almost looks like a pvc cap to me, but the image is not clear enough to tell if it's that, or a really nice paint job.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Scrape it and let us know what material is under the paint.

I would cut a inch or 2 all around the cap and see what you got behind the wall and go from there. Then when finished buy a sheetrock hole repair square, drill a center hole and slip it over the pipe and make it flush on the wall, mud, sand and paint and you will never know.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,504

I don't see any pictures.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #8

Problem solved. I will post some pictures later. We hired a professional plumber and he used a pair of large adjustable pliers and was able to open it up easily.. and yes there was water coming out!! Thanks for everyone's help.. That only took the plumber about 3 minutes to open it up and he charged $75.. oh boy...