How To Remove "roman Tub" Faucet? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

how to remove "roman tub" faucet?

I am sprucing up the garden tub in my Master Bath. It needs a new "roman" tub fixture as the old is so oxidized. I talked to Delta and I have narrowed down a few wife-approved models that will work with the rough in/valves already there. I have new trim kit on special order from Lowes that should do the trick.

Ok, now to the question....or my idiocy as the case may be.

I cannot figure out how to get the old faucet off. Knobs were no problem. On the spigot, there is a littte round cap. I popped it off. About 1/2 inch in is an old and kinda discolored/rusty bolt of some kind. Looks like a hex/"allen" type deal. I am guessing a 1/8 hex. So I got that 1/8 allen bit out of my drill bit set and attempted to get the bolt out, assuming the faucet will then just kinda lift right out. The bit seems to fit, but the facuet is not disengaging... And I am afraid if I keep trying, I will strip the bolt (looks a bit stripped already, before I even went in, to be honest) and then really be screwed. Stuck having to hacksaw the damn facuet off or something.

I am not real handy, admittedly. But am I just dumb, too? Am I missing something obvious here? Any help is appeciated. Thanks!!!

Advertisement

tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Residential Renovations

Rewards Points: 10

Pictures of your setup would really help

Advertisement

Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

usually you will have to make access to the faucet body.
ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #4

I will try to post a picture. I have to figure out how to compress the photos so the webpage will accept.

I talked to Delta awhile back. I was pretty clear (I thought) about wanting only to change the trim, that is the spigot and handles; the stuff that shows. I thought I usderstood this to be possible w/o accessing "below."

The issue is the the tub has no access underneath. That is, its backs up to a) exterior wall, b) tiled shower, and c) does not have a skirt with underneath access. it sits right on the floor.

lemme see a bout a picture. thanks, folks.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #5

Thanks, guys.

I am replacing a Delta roman bath faucet in my garden tub due to oxidation/discoloration. I want to just change what shows, that is “the trim.” I don’t know anything about the “innards” and inner workings, so I just want to change the minimum of parts. I corresponded with Delta awhile back and the rep helped me figure out what trim kits I could order to fit the valves already there. I believe my rough in is a series R2700, so any of the T27 family of faucets will work. Thats good news because they have some nice ones.

But I cannot figure out how to get the spigot off. Looks like a simple allen/hex bolt.

You might not be able to tell from my crappy pictures, but my tub backs up to a seperate tiled shower. And it sits on the ground...there is not access underneath (no skirt).

Delta says you should just be able to unscrew the "set screw." Spigot pulls off. Thats it. Since I am just trying to change the trim. Leave valves as they are. Do not need to access underneath they say.

Maybe the set screw is stripped or something, or I hvae the wrong Allen bit...but the spigot is being tricky.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Residential Renovations

It should be as simple as loosening the set screw that is holding the faucet spout in place and removing it. Sometimes they need a little force to remove. Good Luck

Cheers
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #7

you got real Lucky. delta is the easiest to up grade. the new trim will come with instructions
here is a link there is a instruction PDF on the page.

call delta and tell them the finish did not hold up. and ask what can they do about it?? its not unheard of to get a free trim pack.
ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Try a little WD-40 first on the set screw.
The set screw should just turn out and the spout pops off. If the set screw is stripped the you will probably have to carefully drill it out, but don't go too deep as the set screw bottoms out on the brass portion that the water flows through.

Last edited by jpplumber; 02-01-2008 at 03:04 AM.
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #9

wd40 and/or penetrating oil on that screw for a couple days before trying to out it (make sure you don't damage tub finish). you might need to use an easy out if the screw still won't budge.
nacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #10

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figure it's better than creating a new one for the same issue.

So I am doing basically the same thing. Replacing my Moen Roman Tub fixtures with new Moen pieces. I haven't tried getting the faucet piece off yet, but it's got the same design, so I am assumming it's the same process. My bigger concern at this point is how to get the lower trim pieces off without access underneath the tub. I can remove the handles without issues, but to don't see any way to get the trim off. I'll try to post pics tonight.

Advertisement

mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote