Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 30
Share |
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Is there a way to remove this? The valve is completely broke and no water actually makes it into the hose. It looks like the whole thing might unscrew, but I don't know and don't want to force it.

How to remove this antisiphon valve?-image-3775769728.jpg

Thx

sparky472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,765
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Not to insult you, but you did try pliers, right? And yes it does unscrew.

__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 30
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo
Not to insult you, but you did try pliers, right? And yes it does unscrew.
I did but it's pretty tight and the pipe itself has a lot of give, so as I said, I'm hesitant to force it and risk damaging the pipe inside the wall. Need some way to loosen the threads
sparky472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,600
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Some have a scew on the side of them that has to be loosened.
Sure your turning it the right way, it's upside down so it needs to be turned counter clockwise.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,349
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Some have a scew on the side of them that has to be loosened.
I think you are correct. If you look closely there appears to be a set screw right above the G of GASH.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,247
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


you could use 2- wrenches one to hold the male adapter comming out of house the other to remove whole faucet and replace....turn off water 1 st ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 30
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joed

I think you are correct. If you look closely there appears to be a set screw right above the G of GASH.
Set screw isn't going anywhere. It's broken off and rusted through what little bit is protruding. I think I can remove the entire valve - if I can loosen up the threads.
sparky472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,555
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Replace the valve or drill out the tamer resistant set screw- the screw head is designed to snap off when installing the aftermarket VB.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Alan (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,006
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


uSE A BACK UP WRENCH ON THE COPPER PART AND UNSCREW IT.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Javiles (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 30
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Tried unscrewing the entires hose valve. But when I do, instead of unscrewing, the pipe coming out of the wall with the male threads turns with it. Tomorrow I'll try spraying some liquid wrench at the junction of the valve and the threaded pipe coming out of the wall and see if that'll loosen the threads up enough. Other ideas welcome. But if I break off a pipe in the wall trying to get the hose valve off, this becomes a much more serious and costly problem.

If liquid wrench doesn't get it l either deal without using that faucet or call a plumber.

As far as drilling out the set screw - any special bit required?
sparky472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,555
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky472 View Post
Tried unscrewing the entires hose valve. But when I do, instead of unscrewing, the pipe coming out of the wall with the male threads turns with it. Tomorrow I'll try spraying some liquid wrench at the junction of the valve and the threaded pipe coming out of the wall and see if that'll loosen the threads up enough. Other ideas welcome. But if I break off a pipe in the wall trying to get the hose valve off, this becomes a much more serious and costly problem.

If liquid wrench doesn't get it l either deal without using that faucet or call a plumber.

As far as drilling out the set screw - any special bit required?
Did you read post #6 & #9? You have to use a back up wrench
Oh, and you did turn off the water main right?
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 30
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber

Did you read post #6 & #9? You have to use a back up wrench
Oh, and you did turn off the water main right?
What kind of wrench is best to use in this situation? Isn't much to hold on to but threads
sparky472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,555
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky472

What kind of wrench is best to use in this situation? Isn't much to hold on to but threads
In your situation, I'd use a pair of high quality adjustable pliers ( channel locks) on the copper and an adjustable wrench on the bib- or pliers on both.
Pliers are directional like pipe wrenches so use them in the right direction- the jaws will bite into the fitting better.
When reassembling, use an adjustable wrench on the bib so you scratch the finish
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 30
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber

In your situation, I'd use a pair of high quality adjustable pliers ( channel locks) on the copper and an adjustable wrench on the bib- or pliers on both.
Pliers are directional like pipe wrenches so use them in the right direction- the jaws will bite into the fitting better.
When reassembling, use an adjustable wrench on the bib so you scratch the finish
Awesome. Thx. I'll give it a shop tomorrow.
sparky472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,555
Default

How to remove this antisiphon valve?


What ever you do, don't let the copper line turn.
If you do, you may actually be corkscrewing (kinking) the pipe inside the wall- not good.

__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delta shower valve replacement on exterior wall muellertr Plumbing 6 01-02-2013 07:07 AM
Main Water Shutoff Valve problem obadran Plumbing 16 12-10-2012 11:45 AM
Shut off valve for outdoor spigot C4per Plumbing 15 11-24-2012 07:50 AM
Remove saddle valve for ice maker line? redge03 Plumbing 3 11-17-2011 11:35 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.