DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   How to remove this antisiphon valve? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/how-remove-antisiphon-valve-179300/)

sparky472 05-11-2013 01:40 PM

How to remove this antisiphon valve?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Is there a way to remove this? The valve is completely broke and no water actually makes it into the hose. It looks like the whole thing might unscrew, but I don't know and don't want to force it.

Attachment 70682

Thx

Clutchcargo 05-11-2013 01:47 PM

Not to insult you, but you did try pliers, right? And yes it does unscrew.

sparky472 05-11-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutchcargo
Not to insult you, but you did try pliers, right? And yes it does unscrew.

I did but it's pretty tight and the pipe itself has a lot of give, so as I said, I'm hesitant to force it and risk damaging the pipe inside the wall. Need some way to loosen the threads

joecaption 05-11-2013 03:08 PM

Some have a scew on the side of them that has to be loosened.
Sure your turning it the right way, it's upside down so it needs to be turned counter clockwise.

joed 05-11-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1177162)
Some have a scew on the side of them that has to be loosened.

I think you are correct. If you look closely there appears to be a set screw right above the G of GASH.

ben's plumbing 05-11-2013 04:42 PM

you could use 2- wrenches one to hold the male adapter comming out of house the other to remove whole faucet and replace....turn off water 1 st:thumbsup: ben sr

sparky472 05-11-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed

I think you are correct. If you look closely there appears to be a set screw right above the G of GASH.

Set screw isn't going anywhere. It's broken off and rusted through what little bit is protruding. I think I can remove the entire valve - if I can loosen up the threads.

TheEplumber 05-11-2013 04:55 PM

Replace the valve or drill out the tamer resistant set screw- the screw head is designed to snap off when installing the aftermarket VB.

Ghostmaker 05-11-2013 05:12 PM

uSE A BACK UP WRENCH ON THE COPPER PART AND UNSCREW IT.

sparky472 05-11-2013 05:40 PM

Tried unscrewing the entires hose valve. But when I do, instead of unscrewing, the pipe coming out of the wall with the male threads turns with it. Tomorrow I'll try spraying some liquid wrench at the junction of the valve and the threaded pipe coming out of the wall and see if that'll loosen the threads up enough. Other ideas welcome. But if I break off a pipe in the wall trying to get the hose valve off, this becomes a much more serious and costly problem.

If liquid wrench doesn't get it l either deal without using that faucet or call a plumber.

As far as drilling out the set screw - any special bit required?

TheEplumber 05-11-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky472 (Post 1177267)
Tried unscrewing the entires hose valve. But when I do, instead of unscrewing, the pipe coming out of the wall with the male threads turns with it. Tomorrow I'll try spraying some liquid wrench at the junction of the valve and the threaded pipe coming out of the wall and see if that'll loosen the threads up enough. Other ideas welcome. But if I break off a pipe in the wall trying to get the hose valve off, this becomes a much more serious and costly problem.

If liquid wrench doesn't get it l either deal without using that faucet or call a plumber.

As far as drilling out the set screw - any special bit required?

Did you read post #6 & #9? You have to use a back up wrench
Oh, and you did turn off the water main right?

sparky472 05-11-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber

Did you read post #6 & #9? You have to use a back up wrench
Oh, and you did turn off the water main right?

What kind of wrench is best to use in this situation? Isn't much to hold on to but threads

TheEplumber 05-11-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky472

What kind of wrench is best to use in this situation? Isn't much to hold on to but threads

In your situation, I'd use a pair of high quality adjustable pliers ( channel locks) on the copper and an adjustable wrench on the bib- or pliers on both.
Pliers are directional like pipe wrenches so use them in the right direction- the jaws will bite into the fitting better.
When reassembling, use an adjustable wrench on the bib so you scratch the finish

sparky472 05-11-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber

In your situation, I'd use a pair of high quality adjustable pliers ( channel locks) on the copper and an adjustable wrench on the bib- or pliers on both.
Pliers are directional like pipe wrenches so use them in the right direction- the jaws will bite into the fitting better.
When reassembling, use an adjustable wrench on the bib so you scratch the finish

Awesome. Thx. I'll give it a shop tomorrow.

TheEplumber 05-11-2013 08:11 PM

What ever you do, don't let the copper line turn.
If you do, you may actually be corkscrewing (kinking) the pipe inside the wall- not good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved