Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

Share |

how to properly repack a glove valve?

a few months ago, before taking out the tub and toilet, i shut off the hot and cold valves. they both started leaking copiously (hadn't been turned in years, no doubt.) so, i repacked them with graphite, installed new rubber washers, and greased the stems. put them back in, and shut them all the way off. not a drop leaked.

now that the bathroom is finished, they recently got a lot of use, turning them on and off to drain and correct leaks (and repeat). they've started to leak badly again, already.

so, i've just taken them apart and repacked again, but i'm wondering if i've done something wrong (again). i understand these are supposed to last 30 years or so between packings.

i may have wound the graphite "string" in the wrong direction before? the graphite was starting to get squeezed out of the bottom of the nut at the bottom of the stem.

here's apicture of the valve, unpacked. i believe it is a globe valve.

also, these are placed in the most rediculos place, out of reach, and directly above skethcy old wiring. i will likely move them soon. at that point, i might as well install a lower maintenance valve, eh? what would you recommend?

thanks.

I have packed both the upper nut and lower nut with graphite, roughly "full" but not overflowing, and greased the stem liberally as well as the top of the graphite. Wrong? SHould only ONE of these be packed?

Yikes! This after I just reinstalled for the second time. THat munge you see at the bottom of the stem is just grease, not actual graphite poking out.

The valves are currently wide open and have not leaked a drop. Same as before, though... Did I do this properly?

Last edited by wombosi; 01-31-2009 at 06:08 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

update: they valve stems are both leaking again. slow droplets building up. nothing horrible.

too much packing? not enough? too much/too little grease? what is the trick here?

i would like to install better valves. (AKA, ones that i don't have to worry about leaking.)

good news, though/. the bathroom is now 100% leak free and nicely pressurized. will have pics soon.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Replace with ball valves and sleep good at night.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

thanks brokenknee.
so, it's not something i'm inherently doing wrong? more like the nature of these valves?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #5

by the way, i will definitely replace with ball valves.
buy at local supply store, or cheaper online?

just want to know how to pack a globe valve properly...

thankns again.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Yep, the old ones you have to be very careful with. Do not crank on it to hard to shut it off. If it will not shut completely off and it is possible to shut off at another location do that. Also when opening the valve do not open it so hard that you can not turn it anymore, make sure that you can turn the valve a little bit.

Over Tightening of the packing material also makes the valve hard to turn, which will also put extra stress on the stem.

Edit: got my threads mixed up, I would purchase the valves locally, support your local economy. I have never priced them on line, it is not like I need a whole lot of them a year.

I have not repacked that many valves, it was years ago the last time I repacked one. Back then it was just a packing string you wrapped around the stem a couple of time.

I usually just replace them now.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 01-31-2009 at 09:41 PM.
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #7

Think I read where somebody here suggested NOT buying Chinese valves. Hope nestor comes to your aid and tells you BEST and not to buy brands.

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote