Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

How to plumb a well system

I have a very old house that we are doing a full remodel in, i am just starting supply lines for plumbing. There is a single pipe well pump and tank. My big question is why is there not a pressure switch on the tank? I have seen other systems setup this way as well but never thought anything of it.

BigBoost4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Master Plumber

The newer systems use a fiberglass bladder tanks with the pressure switch on the pump. the old galvanized holding tanks used a regulator that usually came off the side of the tank the to the switch on the pump.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #3

I guess i should have left the "old house" part out of this one since it really doesnt have anything to do with the question because it is a newer style bladder tank. I see what you based your answer off in my post though, so thanks.

So you will only see a pressure switch or regulator on old holding tanks, but if it is a bladder tank its good with it on the pump only right?
BigBoost4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Let me go back they still sell and use the galvanized tanks its a holding tank vs the bladder type which is a mix of pressurized air / water still the same result. bladder type seem to hold up better. one inlet vs one in one out.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoost4g63 View Post
So you will only see a pressure switch or regulator on old holding tanks, but if it is a bladder tank its good with it on the pump only right?
Not always. My system is only four years old, and I have a pressure switch mounted next to the tank that's in the crawl space. Gotta have something that tells the pump when to start and stop. It's possible your switch is inside the top of the well casing; mine was temporarily set up that way because we were living onsite in our RV while building the house. Also had a small temporary pressure tank, which is still buried up by the well. All that was disconnected when I plumbed the house.

If I recall (plumbers correct me if this is wrong), the system works best when the pressure switch is close to where the water is being used.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote