DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to plumb drop in tub

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wrangler 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm in the right place. I am remodeling my master bath and built a box that I will drop my Jacuzzi air tub into. It's really like a bench in an alcove (bench built between 2 walls and the tub will sit in that).

I rough plumbed the drain line (it is below floor level) and ready to tie the tub into it. This is a second floor bathroom with an open room below so I don't have access from below without cutting into the nice finished ceiling on the first floor.

My question is this... What is the proper way to tie in the tub? Is it expected that I would have full access to the drain side of the tub to finish the plumbing once the tub is in place? Even if I had access (behind toilet for one), I would need to reach in about 2 feet from the access point. Do i need to open the wall enough to crawl half way in to reach the plumbing to finish it? If the walls were open it would be easier. I think I'm going to need to cut open the ceiling or wall to do it, but am wondering if there is another alternative?

#2 ·
If I understand your situation correctly, it seems best to make an access panel across the front of the tub. This will not only allow you access to the drain, but also the pump if it should fail. This can be the entire front skirt, or just a large portion of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.