Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to patch holes in shower enclosure when going from 2-handle faucet to single?

I want to convert our old two handle shower and tub faucet to single handle. The shower wall is a white fiberglass (I think it's fiberglass ... looks like thick plastic) enclosure.

I know they sell remodeling cover plates to hide the holes from a two handle system, but problem is, the two handles are too close vertically to the faucet, so a typical remodeling cover won't work. That is unless I can find a cover that is more rectangular shaped, and not as rounded on the corners as all the plates I've seen, which won't quite cover the holes.

Assuming there are no such plates available, what's the best way to fill the two handle holes in the fiberglass enclosure? I see they have shower patch kits for enclosures do those work well? I would need some kind of backing, however. Or is there a way to buy some kind of waterproof plastic material that I could epoxy to the back of the enclosure wall, and then maybe fill in and level off with the shower patch stuff?

I suppose I could use something like Bondo, but then I'd have to paint it too.

Anyone do this before and what do you recommend?

Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

How to patch holes in shower enclosure when going from 2-handle faucet to single?

Post a picture of what you have so we can see what the problum is.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ates&FORM=IGRE

Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2

Have a piece of 1/2" Corian cut large enough to cover the old holes. Have it decorative with a fancy edge (ogee maybe). Epoxy and screw in place from the back. Cut new hole as required.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Call a fiberglass tub repair service builders use them all the time prices are very reasonable in Ohio.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post a picture of what you have so we can see what the problum is.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ates&FORM=IGRE
Sorry, I'm not able to get a picture posted, but to describe it better, if the two handle holes were a half inch higher, than one of those shower repair plates would work. But now the bottom of the plate would bump into the top of the tub faucet and not quite cover the holes.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly View Post
Sorry, I'm not able to get a picture posted, but to describe it better, if the two handle holes were a half inch higher, than one of those shower repair plates would work. But now the bottom of the plate would bump into the top of the tub faucet and not quite cover the holes.
If a remodel plate won't work, then the answer is here : How to patch holes in shower enclosure when going from 2-handle faucet to single?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Call a fiberglass tub repair service builders use them all the time prices are very reasonable in Ohio.
I'll have to try to find someone offering that service in my area. Haven't ever heard of a company doing that. Any idea what they might charge to cover/fill two holes?

Anyone ever try the tub/shower patch kits you can buy at the home improvement stores? Wondering if that would give me similar results as what the pros would do, or if it's tough to get it to look good?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly View Post
I'll have to try to find someone offering that service in my area. Haven't ever heard of a company doing that. Any idea what they might charge to cover/fill two holes?

Anyone ever try the tub/shower patch kits you can buy at the home improvement stores? Wondering if that would give me similar results as what the pros would do, or if it's tough to get it to look good?
I've seen them patch 3.5" holes before caused by an absent minded apprentice
But the problem was matching the white perfectly- manufacturers have different shades of color- so a DIY kit might present the same problem.