Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to move my kitchen sink just 6"?

I have a new countertop and need to move my existing kitchen sink just 6" to the left. The hot and cold water lines have enough play in them to move, so they aren't an issue. The sink is single bowl, no garbage disposal.

Can I purchase an extender or a longer piece of one of the PVC pipes and add it to/replace an existing shorter piece? I've never done this before, but I have a really good diagram of sink parts and can look the part(s) up, if I know the name of it.

And what are basin and spud wrenches? Will I need these and other tools for this task? I have an adjustable wrench and tons of other construction-type tools.

Many thanks for your advice, Jennshark

Jennshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you can post a pic of what the set-up is currently then we can guide you to a successful relocation.

How to attach a photo to a post

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
I have a new countertop and need to move my existing kitchen sink just 6" to the left. The hot and cold water lines have enough play in them to move, so they aren't an issue. The sink is single bowl, no garbage disposal.

Can I purchase an extender or a longer piece of one of the PVC pipes and add it to/replace an existing shorter piece? I've never done this before, but I have a really good diagram of sink parts and can look the part(s) up, if I know the name of it.

And what are basin and spud wrenches? Will I need these and other tools for this task? I have an adjustable wrench and tons of other construction-type tools.

Many thanks for your advice, Jennshark
should not be a problem to move drain.....pictures would help us help you...ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

A bason wrench is to remove a faucet after it's been installed.
A spud wrench is to install or remove a strainer in a sink.
The best way is to install the faucet before the sink goes in so no bason wrench is needed.
The same with the drain.
To add an extention in most cases all you need is what's called an 1-1/2 tail piece extention. any Lowes Home Depot, hardware store, will have it.
It's male on one end and a female on the other with a tapered plastic washer and a nut.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbin...on-144328.html
It's really thin PVC so be carefull when you cut it.

Last edited by joecaption; 12-24-2011 at 10:23 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote