Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

How Many Gallons to Fill Heat System?

Hello all,

I just got our first water bill in our new house and it's outrageous, to say the least. Before I call the city, I want to be prepared with as much information as I can. Now, there is no way we could use 8000 cubic feet of water in one month's time under normal usage. However, we did have one big thing done - the house was winterized before we bought it, so they had to de-winterize and completely fill the hot water heat system back up.

So my question is: about how many gallons would you expect filling a heating system to take? We have about 12 rooms total with either a radiator or baseboard heating - 2 family home, roughly 2000 sq ft heated.

Also, does a hot water heat system affect your water usage much once its filled?

Thank you!

Angelyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelyco View Post
Hello all,

I just got our first water bill in our new house and it's outrageous, to say the least. Before I call the city, I want to be prepared with as much information as I can. Now, there is no way we could use 8000 cubic feet of water in one month's time under normal usage. However, we did have one big thing done - the house was winterized before we bought it, so they had to de-winterize and completely fill the hot water heat system back up.

So my question is: about how many gallons would you expect filling a heating system to take? We have about 12 rooms total with either a radiator or baseboard heating - 2 family home, roughly 2000 sq ft heated.

Not knowing you home I would safely say under 100 gls

Also, does a hot water heat system affect your water usage much once its filled?

It shouldn't unless there is a leak

Thank you!
8000 cu ft good lord is over 59000 gls. I would check the water meter to see if the dial is moving after verifing all faucets are closed. If the meter is spinning the locate the whole house water shut off and close that valve. Then recheck the meter, if it is spinning the you have a leak in the piping between the house and meter. If it stops then you have a leak in the house. Becarful and watch the meter for 5-10 mins. Sometimes a toiler will take that long to cycle.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
Angelyco (03-08-2012), ben's plumbing (03-08-2012), jaydevries (03-08-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #3

I am not aware of any water utility that charges residential rates in cu ft, it is always in gallons, or /1000gal. Are you sure you are looking at the water meter, not the gas meter??? Gas is measured in cu ft.

And once a hydronic heating system is filled, it is supposed to be a sealed system and never or rarely needs any additional water.

As for how much a system holds, that can be quite variable. The boiler holds a specific amount, usually not a lot. How much is in the pipes throughout the house depends on how much pipe you have.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Yes, it is the water bill:

I also confirmed with my attorney that this is for ONE MONTH, and not all previous 6, and the readings do show that, even though the current reading is estimated.

Would 8000 cu ft be more feasible for a 6 month estimation? I'm wondering if they just applied their standard estimate for 6 months instead of taking into account it was only 1 month on the bill.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Just Bill;873932]I am not aware of any water utility that charges residential rates in cu ft, it is always in gallons, or /1000gal. Are you sure you are looking at the water meter, not the gas meter??? Gas is measured in cu ft.

Several cities here charge in cu ft. 7.48 gls = 1 cu ft

And once a hydronic heating system is filled, it is supposed to be a sealed system and never or rarely needs any additional water.

As for how much a system holds, that can be quite variable. The boiler holds a specific amount, usually not a lot. How much is in the pipes throughout the house depends on how much pipe you have.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Experienced

Filling a home heating system <50 gals watering the lawn for a month, 7950 cuft.

Mark
Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

100 gals per person per day is average in the US.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

I just heard back from the city, their response was that the bill was a mistake and my balance is zero until the next bill in 6 months. Nice to know they would have just taken my $178 unless I said something.