Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

How long after soldering copper fitting do you need to wait B4 you can run water thru

I just did my first copper pipe soldering, how long do you have to wait before you can water test the fitting?

Arsinek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

How long after soldering copper fitting do you need to wait B4 you can run water thru

Long enough for the solder to cool which is about 30 seconds after you take away the heat.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Long enough for the solder to cool which is about 30 seconds after you take away the heat.

Wow, so after like 1 minute I can run water through the connection I just made?

What about pressure on the fitting? Like how long until I can treat it like a fitting thats been there for a year?

Last edited by Arsinek; 04-21-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinek View Post

What about pressure on the fitting? Like how long until I can treat it like a fitting thats been there for a year?
As soon as you put water in it.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Well Im done. One connection was squirting water and the other had a stream running down it. I did a bunch of researching before trying and I still couldnt get it so Im just going to pay someone to put some copper to pvc fittings on and go with pvc.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

Not related but still funny anyway.Yesterday i was doing some pluming for a new toilet nile and just finished soldering the cap on the end of the toilet line and forgot to wait till it to cool and turned the supply on while on my knees and the cap shot right off like a bullet and hit me square in the balls.Hurt like hell but i learned from that one.I usually use a wet rag to wipe every joint i make right after i solder it.It cools it down and helps the pipes from turning green in time.
shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shakey0818 For This Useful Post:
bbo (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Well Im done. One connection was squirting water and the other had a stream running down it. I did a bunch of researching before trying and I still couldnt get it so Im just going to pay someone to put some copper to pvc fittings on and go with pvc.
The choice is yours if you want to pay someone, but PVC is not to be used inside a house on domestic water. Use CPVC or PEX, or copper and push fit fittings
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey0818 View Post
Not related but still funny anyway.Yesterday i was doing some pluming for a new toilet nile and just finished soldering the cap on the end of the toilet line and forgot to wait till it to cool and turned the supply on while on my knees and the cap shot right off like a bullet and hit me square in the balls.Hurt like hell but i learned from that one.I usually use a wet rag to wipe every joint i make right after i solder it.It cools it down and helps the pipes from turning green in time.
I had to laugh. This is a lot funnier when it happens to someone else.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larryh86GT For This Useful Post:
RickyBobby (04-24-2013), RWolff (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The choice is yours if you want to pay someone, but PVC is not to be used inside a house on domestic water. Use CPVC or PEX, or copper and push fit fittings
CPVC, is what I meant.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #10

Buy a few shark bites.
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbuilders View Post
Buy a few shark bites.

I had that thought. But whats the lifespan on those things?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:

Umm yes, it is within a minute, that you can turn back on the water. It will be as good as any soldered connection, that is a year, two, five, twenty, etc., as long as the person that does it properly knows how to sweat a joint properly.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey0818 View Post
It cools it down and helps the pipes from turning green in time.
Copper turns green, which is called Patna, which is a natural process. Has nothing to do with cooling it down after soldering a joint.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Copper turns green, which is called Patna, which is a natural process. Has nothing to do with cooling it down after soldering a joint.
Ty for clearing this up for me i allways thought the flux helped it turn green faster when not wiped.
shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:

I had that thought. But whats the lifespan on those things?
25 years, I believe.

jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote