Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to know if shower wall plumbing is leaking?

I have just re-tiled the shower walls. I had a plumber come out and do change out the faucet diverter in the wall before I started tiling. I had a different plumber put the shower faucet and water spout back on after the project was done.

When the plumber put the water spout back on it didn't cover the hole the tile guy cut for the pipe. What the plumber did was put a 1/2 plastic piece between the backerboard and the copper pipe to move it over so the water spout would cover the hole. All of the plumbing in the wall was pretty loose and flexible. It is tight now since the plumber screwed on the water spout instead of sliding it over the copper pipe so it synched it tight to the wall.

I asked him if pushing the pipe over would cause any damage and he said no. There was some good flex available like I said.

I am just paranoid that something could be leaking back there now and want to know if there is any way to check?

dolvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

What's behind and underneath the shower wall? Did you leave a repair access? That would be one way to check it.
Otherwise, to find out if you have a supply line leak anywhere, just turn everything off and check your water meter. It should have a triangular leak indicator (or maybe a small dial) that spins when water is running and is dead still when its off.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
What's behind and underneath the shower wall? Did you leave a repair access? That would be one way to check it.
Otherwise, to find out if you have a supply line leak anywhere, just turn everything off and check your water meter. It should have a triangular leak indicator (or maybe a small dial) that spins when water is running and is dead still when its off.
Good Luck!
Mike
No repair access as it's a condominium. Also don't have a water meter either. Is there a way to leak test?
dolvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

you can make yourself sick worrying about it, if its leaking, it will show up somewhere, if that happens, you can take care of it. You took the step of hiring a plumber, give him some credit of knowing his trade, at least until a leak develops. Relax and enjoy your new bathroom.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote