Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to Install a Water Line to a Refrigerator With No sink

Can i use the horizontal cold water line to the washer. if so, what do i need? is it difficult for a novice or should a plumber be called?
the washer it is the closest cold water horizontal line. my sink is on the opposite side of the kitchen so i cannot use the sink and i have no basement. any ideas? i just bought this whirlpool fridge (really nice) with r/o water & ice maker. at first it seemed as if the previous owners had the copper pipe which runs through the wall at the back of the fridge hooked up to a water source but when we attached the fridge to the line from the wall and turned on the valve, no water came through. it was then that we discovered that the copper pipe had been run through the utility room but was cut off and tapped shut at some point. a real bummer and aggravating as the previous owners had their fridge water dispenser/ice maker hooked up when we did our first and final walk-through prior to closing on the home. thanks for any/all input.

yerac2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

What is the water line to the washer made of? I recently connected my new frig to a copper water line running to a laundry sink on the wall behind the frig. A self piercing tap was used to make the connection.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

the pipe is a copper one. in further inspecting the previous line that the previous owners cut, they had it running through the utility room and straight through that wall into the closet where the water heater is placed. that is the place that the copper line (1/4") ends. this is a real mystery. the reason i asked about the washer line is because we can cut back the copper water line that ends in the water heater closet and re-route it into the utility room where lays the only horizontal cold water source. is a self-piercing tap for making the connection the kind which does not require to one to sweat the pipes? being female i have learned to do several things on my own around the house. i really would like to bring this project to fruition without having to call in the pros who will more than likely charge an arm and a leg. the fridge which broke and led me to buying the whirlpool with the water dispenser and ice maker cost me $75 just for the service repairman to tell me what it "could be" and then proceeded to try to sell me a fridge which was about 20% over the retail cost if purchased at Lowes or Best Buy and such. thanks again for any input.
yerac2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #4

A self piercing water connection is a clamp with a very small "needle" that pierces the line. No sweating involved. The problem I have with these is that the small hole allows for easy clogging if your water is high in minerals.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
what is a self piercing tap?
Here is a link to an example with implementation and usage description - mine came from Home Depot
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/de...Self_Tap_Valve

Last edited by vsheetz; 05-06-2009 at 10:29 AM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 520

you keep saying you NEED a horizontal pipe to access. A vertical is JUST as good,,if that was a concern!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

most of the box stores sell a kit for the install .Everything included in the kit

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote