How To Install Sump Pit In Garage With Existing In Floor Heat - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to install sump pit in garage with existing in floor heat

hello, can someone please tell me the best route to install a sump pit with out disturbing the infloor heat system in the process in my garage. the floor is sloped to the middle of the garage so water pool there.

Advertisement

gtechplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Gtech,
It's kinda like walking on water. It's easy if you know where the rocks are. The only thing I can think of is to get a thermal imaging camera, maybe you could get your local fire dept over for some training. Leave the heat off for a day so it cools off, then turn the system back on and take a walk around with the camera, it should show where the tubing in the floor is. It used to show our footprints on a carpeted floor for a few seconds as we walked over it. Pretty neat. Other than the old x-ray glasses they used to advertise in the comic books, I can't think of anything else. Come to think of it, the glasses were only good for seeing bones.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you could get the floor hot enough, misting water on the floor, a real light mist, the areas that were the hottest would evaporate first.

Just an idea, you may not get the whole pattern, but you may get enough of an idea to be pretty sure as to how the piping centers run.

Mark