Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to install Radiant Floor myself

I've old heritage house that has forced air which I wish to change to Radiant Floor Heat.

If after install coil of hydronic heating tubing myself, how do I wire it up to thermostat AND IN PARTICULAR HOW TO HOOK IT UP TO PLUMBING SYSTEM.
I asked electrician, they say I need talk to plumber.

Can I put Hardwood floor and/or Engineered Hardwood floor on top of this.

Emily

emilykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #2

This is a DIY website, but unless you understand radiant heating, I would leave that to the pro's. There is more to it than just running some tubing.

Does the forced air not work well?? Will you use both systems, or is this just for a small area?? Two heating systems can be a bit pricey. If for a small area, an electric heating mat under tile or similar may be more efficient.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

The reason you were told to talk to a PRO is because it can be a complicated setup.

You need a source of hot water generation, separate from your domestic water system.

This could be another electric water heater, a gas heater or even a boiler.
You'll need a mixing valve and a pressure tank.

Without a basic understanding, you are going to be hard pressed to find someone able to school you from ground zero.

An electric based radiant heat system is different, and IMHO easier to install. You may be able to find a kit or source online and lay it down yourself. You'd still need an electrician to make the final connections.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

There are some places online that will help a diy you can try radiantec or radiantfloors they offer pre assembled units and are very helpful on the phone.
agmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #5

Some engineered hardwood flooring systems are approved for installation over radiant heat. Standard hardwood flooring is not.

It sounds as if you are considering an add on system in an existing home with forced air heat. The physical install process for piping if you use hot water and install under the existing subfloor can be a challenge because radiant heat is normally installed very early in the building process. Installation above the existing subfloor is easier but the materials are more expensive. Additionally the control system for the radiant heat can be complex because the heat response characteristics of radiant systems are very different from forced air heat. Based on your questions you have a lot of research and learning to do if it is to be a do it yourself project.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote