How To Install A Preformed Shower Base - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to install a preformed shower base

Hello everyone,
I am trying to install my own tile shower because my old one has cracks around the drain. I've already removed the old one and repaired the wood damage.I am ready to start installing the shower base. Does it matter if I use a shower pan or shower base for my new tile shower and what is the best way to secure the base to the floor?
Thanks

Advertisement

Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Use a shower base, pans should be done by professionals because the chances of leaks are greater. Using some quickcrete would be fine to stablize the shower, but Ive never used any adhesive when installing a base, if the floor is level, I set it and use some screws in the nailing flange.

Advertisement

zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

we like to do a dry fit first. See how bad or good the level will be. If anything major, this is the time to get it assuming the drain has been dry fitted all ready. So once is OK, we lay down tar paper on the floor and up the walls a few inches. Mark where the feet will be and drain then pour down a generous amount of structo lite but away from the drain and feet. On top of that we put a layer of plastic and install the pan. Level again, push down on it all around ( do not stand in it) and thats it. Next day, exterior screws in the nailing flange. Vapor barrier the walls then wonderboard. Do not spackle wonderboard. Use the thin set or whatever your using to secure the tiles. yada yada yada
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote