How To Insatll Water Supply? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

how to insatll water supply?

im trying to put in my water supply at the back of the toilet,the plumber left the copper pipe sticking out of the wall about 6"Whats my next step ? cut the pipe? but then do i need thread on the pipe so i can screw in the next piece for the water supply,or is there a certain piece of material that comes with it when i buy it.Whats my next step

Advertisement

ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

You need to turn off your main water valve, drain down the water system. (Open faucets on all levels) Then cut the pipe with a tubing cutter at approximately 3" from the wall. (Closer if you want a cleaner look).
Buy a 1/2" compression angle stop, and an escutcheon. You dont need threads, the angle stop will attach to the copper pipe and mechanically tighten. You will need 2 crescent wrenches.
Before you put on the angle stop, place the escutcheon (shiny metal ring that covers hole) on the copper pipe and slide it back to the wall.

For best results, clean about an inch of the pipe next to your cut with an emery cloth so it is shiny.

You will also need a toilet supply line that will connect from the angle stop to the toilet.

All Home Depot stores and others carry these things, and the staff should be able to demonstrate how it all works.

Advertisement

Last edited by rselectric1; 10-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

[quote=rselectric1;339804]You need to turn off your main water valve, drain down the water system. (Open faucets on all levels) Then cut the pipe with a tubing cutter at approximately 3" from the wall. (Closer if you want a cleaner look).
Buy a 1/2" compression angle stop, and an escutcheon. You dont need threads, the angle stop will attach to the copper pipe and mechanically tighten. You will need 2 crescent wrenches.
Before you put on the angle stop, place the escutcheon (shiny metal ring that covers hole) on the copper pipe and slide it back to the wall.

For best results, clean about an inch of the pipe next to your cut with an emery cloth so it is shiny.

You will also need a toilet supply line that will connect from the angle stop to the toilet.

All Home Depot stores and others carry these things, and the staff should be able to demonstrate how it all works.[/quote

thx for ur advice ill do it tommorrow
ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Good luck and be patient with it.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote