Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Share |

How important is it to be EXACTLY the recommended pumping depth in a drilled well?

So I've been running my new well for almost a month. When the drillers showed up they had to do 1 other job on my lake. They did mine first and before the driller left he told me my well is 84ft deep and to pump at 60ft NO MORE, NO LESS. I went out, bought all my riggings and plumbed the whole system myself.

To date the only issues I've had was the odd rust particles (not sand from what I can tell, just rust) coming up from the well casing. So I installed a whole house high flow particulate filter and called it a day.

Well a month later I get my well documents in the mail. It says my well is 74ft and to pump at 50ft. What?? That is exactly 10ft shorter than he told me the day he left.

The company and myself had some language barriers, not complete and utter loss of communication, but sometimes I swear the people I talk with there aren't fully understanding me. My options at this point are:

1)Call them and ask what is going on. I will do this, but who knows if the info I get one way or another is even right.
2)Assume that since my water APPEARS to be running fine that all is well. Is there a MAJOR issue I'm not thinking of if I am in fact pumping 10ft lower than I should?
3)Maybe they mixed up my property and the other guy they did and his is actually 74' and pumping 50'. But I don't like assuming...
4)Drop a rope down the pipe, hope it doesn't get caught on anything and "measure" the well myself. But I really -really- don't want to have to re-chlorinate the entire system since it is nice, clean, clear, non-pool-like water right now.

My biggest worry is that by pumping too low in the well I might damage the well development itself. If the worst that happens is the pump eats sand and dies that sucks but it's not the end of the world. If the well caves in however....

Thoughts?

GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
DIY staff

How important is it to be EXACTLY the recommended pumping depth in a drilled well?

You will be fine in any case-----your pump is high enough to avoid sucking bottom materials---let it be--

GuyFromTheNorth (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

If you aren't pulling sand or gravel chips you'll be fine. Pump placement has no effect on whether or not a well collapses. That's pretty much left up to geology.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chitownken For This Useful Post:
GuyFromTheNorth (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I feel alot better and won't bother probing the company for information. Next time I -need- to service the equipment I will do a rope test and see the actual depth, in the mean time I'm all about the "if it ain't broke...". I will be checking the filter in a few weeks, but before I put it in place nothing but very tiny flecks of rust particulate were coming up the pump, not grains of sand or silt. The only reason I thought that the pump placement might cause a collapse is because I didn't know if the steel casing only went "so far" down the hole and if the pump went too close to the bottom it may be in sidewalls of packed sand or gravel and as it spun up and down the torque arrestor might hit the sides caving it in. At any rate I won't stress over it as winter is here and I prefer to let it be, thanks again!
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyFromTheNorth For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

In a proper drilled well the casing goes down to bedrock. Below the casing is solid rock not packed sand or gravel.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #6

If you are supposed to hang the pump at 60 feet I can't see a slight error like 62 feet or 58 feet being a problem.

But generally, if you hang the pump too low you run the risk of bringing up sediment. If you hang the pump too high you will overdraw the well and suck air more frequently.

I would not worry about it if it is working fine, clear water without hiccups like air pockets.