Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

How hard is it to go from one sink to two?

This is our main bathroom, and we're redoing it piece by piece. It currently has a vanity/sink that looks just like this:

I've seen those vanity tops at Lowes and HD that are very similar, only they have two sinks. I really want to do this. What, plumbing-wise, is involved in this? I'm pretty handy...but is this something I should leave to the professionals?

We may also replace the entire vanity...which I'm confident I can do, except for the plumbing. Just not sure what to do.

Last edited by Proulx06; 02-04-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #2

Well nothing inside the wall will change, if that's what you're asking. Instead of a single drop/trap ass'y, you'll have either a Y or T type configuration. By the way, the "Y" type is more like a T layed on its side. Which one will be determined by where the trap adaptor is now. By your picture, I'm guessing you'll have a T type.

For buying purposes, it's actually called a dual sink, CENTER outlet drain ass'y...or....a dual sink,SIDE outlet drain ass'y, depending on your current set-up.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Is there going to be drawers in the middle of only on the side of the cabinet? Will the middle be free and clear between the two sinks? Is the centerline of the double sink 30" or less apart?

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to take a picture of the inside of the vanity as it sits now, so I know exactly what to buy. But basically the drain comes down into the trap, then up and to the left about 6" off of center (and then into the wall).

As for the drawers, if we reuse that vanity, we'll probably remove the drawers and glue the faces on for looks. I really don't require storage in the vanity as I'll be putting in two vanity mirrors with inside storage, and we also have a large closet on the other side of the bathroom. The vanity really only needs to hold the plunger, the toilet brush, and look nice.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #5

You will also have to run the water supply lines to the other sink. Hot and cold to the faucet.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
You will also have to run the water supply lines to the other sink. Hot and cold to the faucet.
Yes, I saw a picture of this on another page. Looks like I should be able to just install T-lines where it comes out of the wall, then braided lines up to the faucet, right? I love braided lines because noobs like me can't screw them up too bad. It's the copper and pvc where I get nervous.