DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   How to handle toilet flange when leveling floor (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/how-handle-toilet-flange-when-leveling-floor-88798/)

Homerepairguy 12-06-2010 02:10 AM

How to handle toilet flange when leveling floor
 
I'm going to do a bathroom remodel and want to level the concrete floor in the master bathroom. I estimate the floor will be about 5/8" higher at the cast iron toilet flange.

1. What should I use to extend the flange?
2. How should I seal the flange from the self leveling compound?

Thanks,
HRG

oh'mike 12-06-2010 07:12 AM

First---5/8 is within the range of a thick extender ring so you probably do not need a flange extender--

However if you feel that you want to add a flange extender--you will find them in the plumbing isle of the nearest hardware store.

To keep the leveling compound out of your pipe while doing the pour---Use some all wax,wax rings and a cap---the lid from a coffee can will do---

Oh,and pack the pipe with plastic bags,just in case the compound leaks past the wax dam.

I use 'Jiffset' with Linewebbers latex---always did a good job.--Mike--

Homerepairguy 12-06-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 546402)
First---5/8 is within the range of a thick extender ring so you probably do not need a flange extender--

However if you feel that you want to add a flange extender--you will find them in the plumbing isle of the nearest hardware store.

To keep the leveling compound out of your pipe while doing the pour---Use some all wax,wax rings and a cap---the lid from a coffee can will do---

Oh,and pack the pipe with plastic bags,just in case the compound leaks past the wax dam.

I use 'Jiffset' with Linewebbers latex---always did a good job.--Mike--

Thanks for your info. Never thought of using a wax ring to act as a dam around the flange.

1. The top of the toilet flange is 1/8" off level in the left-to-right direction but level in the front-to-back direction. Would that negate using extender rings?

2. If I use a flange extender that goes down into the pipe, how do I secure the extended flange? It seems that the extended flange would need spacers and bolts to secure it to the exsisting flange. But then the spacers would be off level since the top of the existing flange is off level.

Thanks,
HRG

broox 12-06-2010 04:01 PM

The wax ring is a little forgiving when it comes to flange levelness, especially if you purchase one with a horn or internal gasket. If you use a flange extender it must be anchored to the concrete.
If you are raising the concrete 5/8", are you then installing tile or anything else that will increase floor thickness? How is the flange attached?

oh'mike 12-06-2010 06:50 PM

Do not use a flange extender that 'goes down into the pipe'---you will regret that ---

There are extenders that are mounted on top of the existing ring and do not reduce the size of the opening---If you must extend the flange --use one of those--Mike--

Homerepairguy 12-06-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broox (Post 546787)
The wax ring is a little forgiving when it comes to flange levelness, especially if you purchase one with a horn or internal gasket. If you use a flange extender it must be anchored to the concrete.
If you are raising the concrete 5/8", are you then installing tile or anything else that will increase floor thickness? How is the flange attached?

Plan to install the stick on vinyl tile blocks that are about 1 foot square by about 1/16" or 3/32" thick.

The current metal flange is secured to the concrete slab by 2 blue concrete flat-head Philip screws.

Homerepairguy 12-07-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 546931)
Do not use a flange extender that 'goes down into the pipe'---you will regret that ---

There are extenders that are mounted on top of the existing ring and do not reduce the size of the opening---If you must extend the flange --use one of those--Mike--

Thanks for that tip! What's the negative with extenders that go down into the pipe?

oh'mike 12-07-2010 06:59 AM

The horn on the bottom of the toilet will not go into the smaller opening---Making the toilet impossible to set---That will flat out spoil your day!

You do not want the flange above the finished floor if you can help it----
This comment will start a huge debate----However,I have been a bath remodeler for more years that I want to admit---Wasted a lot of time chiseling and lowering flanges--

A high flange will spoil your day---Mike---

the_man 12-07-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 547220)
You do not want the flange above the finished floor if you can help it----
This comment will start a huge debate

haha you're probably right. I always say install on top of the finished floor, because that's what my code book says (i think, it's been awhile since i've looked for that), but practically it depends on which flange you install. I only put in flanges that have a stainless steel ring. the profile on them is very thin, but the all plastic flanges are quite a bit thicker. I could see recessing them a bit, i've had to deal with that gap before :laughing:

Homerepairguy 12-07-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 547220)
The horn on the bottom of the toilet will not go into the smaller opening---Making the toilet impossible to set---That will flat out spoil your day!

You do not want the flange above the finished floor if you can help it----
This comment will start a huge debate----However,I have been a bath remodeler for more years that I want to admit---Wasted a lot of time chiseling and lowering flanges--

A high flange will spoil your day---Mike---

Something to watch out for, for sure.
Thanks,
HRG

broox 12-07-2010 12:00 PM

I also like the bottom of the flange even with the top of the finished floor.
If the existing flange is in good shape and all we are talking about is a 3/4" difference, I would consider just using two wax rings and not worry about all of this other stuff.

Homerepairguy 12-08-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broox (Post 547370)
I also like the bottom of the flange even with the top of the finished floor.
If the existing flange is in good shape and all we are talking about is a 3/4" difference, I would consider just using two wax rings and not worry about all of this other stuff.

That's something to consider.
Thanks,
HRG


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved