Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

How good is a system like this?

I'm thinking of buying this, or something similar:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...n#BVRRWidgetID

Currently I use a brita, but I find I often get the "fridge" taste, especially if I have a pizza or something in the fridge. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a mini bar fridge, putting it in the crawlspace under the sink, coil up a pex line in it, then feed that system. That way I will get continuous cold water. I figure, if I take a glass, by the time I drink it, I'm sure the water in the pipe will be cold enough for the next glass. Or is there maybe some kind of tank system I could use that would keep the water cold? I've also thought of still using the brita, but get a separate small fridge for it, but I kind of like the idea of a drinking water tap on the counter.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

i prefer the whole house filters myself,you can pick one up for around $50 at most box stores.
im not sure how well pex tubing would hold up at a continuous (spell check) 30 degrees

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
im not sure how well pex tubing would hold up at a continuous (spell check) 30 degrees
Hmm true, may not be rated for that. Would copper be a better choice? Or is there some kind of tank system I could use? I just want a couple glasses worth of water to sit in the fridge at all times. More, even better, for if I have company or what not and they want water.

I rather use a single outlet filter system as I don't need filtered water for watering the lawn, taking showers etc... just to drink. Though I guess I could use a whole house filter but at that location only. If the filters are designed for whole house they'd probably last quite long too.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 06-20-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote