Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

How to Get Water Supply to My Shop Building?

Built a shop about 350feet from my house and wanna run a water line out there. Maybe a bath room eventually.. and a shop sink, and water spickit. Thinking pex since less joints, will probably be almost 400' and have a couple water spickits in between. Do you think 3/4" will be enough, or should i spring for 1"?? thanks in advance.

jeeper350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper350 View Post
Built a shop about 350feet from my house and wanna run a water line out there. Maybe a bath room eventually.. and a shop sink, and water spickit. Thinking pex since less joints, will probably be almost 400' and have a couple water spickits in between. Do you think 3/4" will be enough, or should i spring for 1"?? thanks in advance.
Are you on city water or well water? What size is the line coming into the home? You may be limited. A 3/4" line over 400' will experience significant frictional losses. We could get technical and use a hazen williams calc for the sizing but it may be futile depending on the size of your incoming service.

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

Dont know why i asked without posting that info.. O.D. of pipe directly out of meter is 1" and then goes to 1 1/4" O.D. pvc. I am thinking of running new from my meter cause they ran that thin schedule .... crap is it schedule 22? i messed with it couple years ago and cant remember. Its pretty thin walled stuff though. Schedule 30?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

might want to winterize it with some unions to break apart to drain in the fall...instant hot water trick get a sheet metal pan 1" deep 24" x 24" spray paint it flat black...mount it on the roof and run some cold water to it ...that is yor solar hot water to the sink ever feel a hose that sits in the sun
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #5

im in texas so dont worry to much about freezing it as long as i insulate above ground pipes. good idea on heater..
Old 01-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

well and septic
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

saw that pan on a pool bar for the sink within just enough to wash up. piece of black hose looped back and forth do the trick...or copper and elbows
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Dont know why i asked without posting that info.. O.D. of pipe directly out of meter is 1" and then goes to 1 1/4" O.D. pvc. I am thinking of running new from my meter cause they ran that thin schedule .... crap is it schedule 22? i messed with it couple years ago and cant remember. Its pretty thin walled stuff though. Schedule 30?
Any idea of the typical static pressure? You need to know that, and the kind of flow rate you wish to achieve then it is fairly simple. Run a quick calc to figure out the head losses with a given gpm flow rate and you will know what the head loss is. You really don't want to get under 20psi and even that is the minimum.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #9

No idea what the pressure is.. forgot to say but its city water but guess me saying meter gave that up. Should I just run 11/4 pex from meter to house (about 100 foot) then go with 1" back to shop (about 370') to be safe? I've had a bunch of hoses together that reached back there and it was at least good enough to water plants wash hands and control a small bonfire.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

I would use irrigation pipe. Get the black stuff comes in rolls of 300' down to 100'. It's technically not for potable water, but I has drank from it and I am healthy. You can install it with a vibratory plow with almost no damage to the ground or you can trench it in
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #11

what reason would you use irrigation tubing?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
what reason would you use irrigation tubing?
because it is easy...You can use a vibratory plow to pull it 12" into the ground with almost no repair work to the surface required. You can get a roll of 1" x 300" so You will only need to make one connection, which is even easier if you make the connection at a spigot, which would kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

SPIGOT!! lol spickit, knew that was not right... how much is it... i dont mind digging a trench for pex which just seems more reliable in my mind anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
SPIGOT!! lol spickit, knew that was not right... how much is it... i dont mind digging a trench for pex which just seems more reliable in my mind anyway.
I have installed irrigation systems with the black pipe and serviced systems that are 25 years old, so reliability isn't an issue. What will be an issue for you is finding it.. I can't get it here in Georgia, it is mainly used in colder climates. If you are for sure digging a trench just use 20' sections of the white PVC. They come with one end blown out so you dont need fitting to join the pipes...you could glue that long of a run together in about 10 minutes. Plus the rigidity of the pipe will make it easier and more durable wherever you have spigots. That is how I do my irrigation now in Georgia. You can get it at Lowes or Home depot
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #15

Yea that's cheaper and wouldn't be hard.. but guess I was just thinking no joints would be better, still need to know what size. Guess I could afford to do 1 1/4" from front meter to house and shop in that.