Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

How to fix leak on 1/4 tube for humidifier

I seem to have some issues with this connection. Basically it's a valve going from 1/2 pex to 1/4 (I think?) tube which then goes to the humidifier.

When I turn the tap on, over time small droplets form at the connection point. I undid the connection and applied white pipe dope meant for threaded connections. I normally have good luck with that stuff vs teflon tape, for permanent connections.

Now, maybe I'm doing this wrong, there is a little ring inside, think a sphere that has it's top and bottom cut off. Does this ring go over the tube, or inside the tube? I put it over the tube, it fits very tightly, and the tube is cut flush with the end of the ring. Is this right? I can take it apart and post a pic if you're not sure what I mean.

It was ok all last year, though I installed it late in the winter. I did have issues with a leak at the start but I had managed to shove some teflon tape and it lasted the year.

Given the size of the leak, I'm almost tempted to just stick some silicone caulk up there, but I know that's not really the right way.

Posted pic of leak area, as well as overall setup, sometimes it helps to see the big picture.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix leak on 1/4 tube for humidifier-dsc04092.jpg   How to fix leak on 1/4 tube for humidifier-dsc04093.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I would replace that 1/4" plastic line with a stainless braided connector. They sell them for refrigerators.

Excellent pictures by the way

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Red,

You're probably missing a stiffener. Looks like this;

Goes inside the pipe and allows the ring (on the exterior of the pipe) to clamp down in the pipe w/o cracking it.

Last edited by VIPlumber; 11-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Yep, I don't have one of those. It's quite possible it accidentally got discarded or something. Is there any way to get/make one without buying a new fitting?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Yep; big box has them; I've seem them as a brass insert. I think VIp's suggestion was a better idea overall IMO.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

I played with this further, but I managed to damage the ring inside so much that I can't refit it on the line now. Am I pretty much out of luck, should I just get a new fitting? I kind of hate to throw out a fitting when it's missing only minor parts, but I can't see that being available on it's own. I was able to put the pipe in without that ring, but I just have to pull on it and it comes out. It's ok under pressure, but I don't trust it if all I have to do is pull. If that lets go and I'm not home, that would be a huge mess, even if it's just a 1/4 the pressure is quite up there still.

Is there better options for going from 1/2 to 1/4? The valve is not needed as there is a ball valve upstream of it. The way this one works just does not feel safe from the start. There's no clamping or otherwise physical method that the line gets secured. Even a sharkbite would be fine at this point but I've never seen any that take a 1/4 connection.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 11-21-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Pretty sure I've seen Sharkbite or John Guest push fitting that goes from 1/2" to 1/4". If not at big box then plumbing supply for sure has them. Still need the stiffener though.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

You can go to the store and but new inserts and ferrels(little ring)

Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote