How To Fix A BIGGER Hole In A Cast Iron Pipe?! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

How to fix a BIGGER hole in a cast iron pipe?!

I have a hole in a pipe that needs to be fixed asap. It's about the size of a nickel. The pipe is under the kitchen sink and the hole is on the inside of the bend on an elbow piece. I would just replace the pipe but the other end goes straight through the back of the cabinet and disappears into the wall. No $$$ for a plumber right now, finances are thin due to holidays so it's not an option. If anybody has any ideas i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

- Jeremy


skatestoked2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75

Can you cut out the damaged piece and put a rubber piece in its place?

Otherwise..Maybe you can temp fix it with some type of epoxy, JB Weld etc.

If the hole seems too large, maybe cover it with something, then JB weld over the whole thing. Kwik JB weld works faster, and seems to be about as good.


Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670
Rewards Points: 1,000

Most likely, right inside that wall is a tee. The pipe is probably galvanized steel since you said it has a hole in it. All around that hole is thin metal waiting to break through and make the hole bigger. Anything you do as far as a repair will be temporary and you may even crush the pipe if you uae clamps. Try getting a look just inside the wall. If the tee is there, it should not be a hard job to unscrew the pipe and replace it. You could even go with a PVC adapter and change to plastic instead of metal.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North and East Texas
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 109

If it's cast iron the I would cut it on either side of the elbow and replace the bad section with rubber. You can get a rubber piece in advance from a hardware store and then use it as a guide for how much to cut. It's not to had to cut cast iron with a sawzall. Just takes time. The rubber will then slip over the iron and clamp tight.

Going to the T can cause a problem as they are often times put together with lead type packing and not so easy to replace.
Daltex is offline   Reply With Quote

hole , hole in a pipe , pipe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to repair a hole in cast Iron pipe? bofusmosby Plumbing 26 11-13-2011 09:35 AM
Backing off OLD galvanizd pipe...& PVC to cast iron michael76 Plumbing 13 02-17-2009 11:18 PM
Cast iron and rusty pipe question snowens Plumbing 2 07-27-2008 10:07 AM
smoothening cut cast iron pipe before mounting fernco coupling amakarevic Plumbing 6 11-15-2007 05:39 PM
Rust Spot on Water Pipe (Cast Iron or Black Iron maybe?) markmaclean80 Plumbing 6 08-22-2007 08:20 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1