Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

How to drain a utility sink that is in basement?

Hello, brand new to these forums and I am glad I found em.

I wanted to install a utility sink in my basement where my washer and dryer are. I was going to attempt to do some pipe sweating to get the slupplylines going. This will be my first attempt at this, but it should be pretty straight forward.

My issue lies with draining the sink. I have a washer next to the new sink location that is drained with a flex hose into a goose neck into a drain that branches out of my whole house drain pipe (4 inch old pipe I think). Can this sink be drained without a pump if the sink drain point is lower than the top of this washer drain pipe top?

Do I have any options other than having the sink drain point above this washer drain, which is not an option for me? and the cost of the pump will be too high.

I have a floor drain in this room that is just an opening in the floor to drain water on the floor. Worst case is I would have to drain to a hose and just stick in down this whole, but that would be non-permanent and just not look finished.

any suggestions?

thanks

Mikey Palmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Quote:
Can this sink be drained without a pump if the sink drain point is lower than the top of this washer drain pipe top?
Yes, what makes you think it would be a problem if I understand your question correctly. But you should also vent the sink.

jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpplumber View Post
Yes, what makes you think it would be a problem if I understand your question correctly. But you should also vent the sink.
I assume that if the bottom of the sink where the drain is in the tub is lower than where this drain has to join the drain that is used by the washer, it wouldn't work because of of gravity
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Well you can't just connect it to the exact same spot as the washer drain, you will have to expose the pipes if you can't already see them and add another wye branch lower then where you want the sink to tie in, connect the sink drain to a new branch you a creating and extend the vent portion of the branch above where the washer drain ties in (anything above where a drain ties in is considered a vent) and reconnect to the existing vent for the washer by turning a second wye upside down. Generally you don't "keep" the old drain for the washer drain but recreate it all new for both drains. I believe the standpipe riser off the "gooseneck" or p-trap for the washer needs to be a minimum of 18" high.

Last edited by jpplumber; 01-26-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Just to be clear you can not tie your new sink into the standpipe for the washer. It needs to be tied in before the washers trap. Basically you're going to remove the trap and add a wye before it.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Union HVAC Tech.

But, you could install a laundry tray pump (Hartell makes a nice one)and tie it in to the standpipe for the washer and have it work just fine and avoid having to do all the venting.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #7

here are the types i have installed in homes and commerical buildings to have a remote sink.

http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/produ...ump105_135.htm
ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Well you can't just connect it to the exact same spot as the washer drain, you will have to expose the pipes if you can't already see them and add another wye branch lower then where you want the sink to tie in, connect the sink drain to a new branch you a creating and extend the vent portion of the branch above where the washer drain ties in (anything above where a drain ties in is considered a vent) and reconnect to the existing vent for the washer by turning a second wye upside down. Generally you don't "keep" the old drain for the washer drain but recreate it all new for both drains. I believe the standpipe riser off the "gooseneck" or p-trap for the washer needs to be a minimum of 18" high.
The problem in my situation is that the drain pipes are exposed, however, the drain for the washer feeds into the rest of the house drain. The toilet bowls, showers, and sinks all drain into this pretty large drain and into the floor. If I had just a standpipe draining the washer that went straight down into the floor, I would just cut that off, replace with PVC and hook up both the washer and sink to it. But, the this pipe by the time it gets lower than the washer gooseneck drain point, turns into a 5-6 inch pipe and runs horizontally for a few feet before turning down into the floor. This 5-6 inch pipe drains everything out of the house.

thanks for the replies everybody, maybe I can take some pictures of the plumbing and put em up here.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
here are the types i have installed in homes and commerical buildings to have a remote sink.

http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/produ...ump105_135.htm
thanks for the link. Is it possible to get a pump that will do the job for 50-100 bucks?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #10

Would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

Can a sink drain to a garden hose through this pump and hosed into the washer drain, goosneck maybe?

Not this exact model of course, it runs on DC. something that runs on AC would be needed
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
Union HVAC Tech.

Yeah you can be cheap and install that type of pump or you can just plug the drain and when the sink fills up you could drain it with a hand pump. You can't make chicken soup from chicken crap. Use a reservoir pump made for the job that will be code compliant and safe for your family to use. Do the right thing.

http://www.hartell.com/corp/details/...TI3997,00.html
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
Master Plumber

Quote:
thanks for the replies everybody, maybe I can take some pictures of the plumbing and put em up here.
You said you didn't want to purchase a pump but in the end it may be the easier way to go (way more then 50-100 bucks I would think) but you still need a place to pump the water to; and would the opening for the washer drain except another pipe?
From what you have described, I don't see how to configure the piping properly without cutting a section out of your existing piping, and it is probably 4" pipe you are looking at (cast iron?) and you are reluctant to cut into that I assume. Some pictures would be helpful to see how it can best be done.

Last edited by jpplumber; 01-27-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post
Would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

Can a sink drain to a garden hose through this pump and hosed into the washer drain, goosneck maybe?

Not this exact model of course, it runs on DC. something that runs on AC would be needed

that pump would probly burn up. i use one of those to drain hot water tanks.

i would just hold on the project untill you can get a pump made for what you want to do
ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeB View Post
Yeah you can be cheap and install that type of pump or you can just plug the drain and when the sink fills up you could drain it with a hand pump. You can't make chicken soup from chicken crap. Use a reservoir pump made for the job that will be code compliant and safe for your family to use. Do the right thing.

http://www.hartell.com/corp/details/...TI3997,00.html

What exactly is a reservoir pump?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
You said you didn't want to purchase a pump but in the end it may be the easier way to go (way more then 50-100 bucks I would think) but you still need a place to pump the water to; and would the opening for the washer drain except another pipe?
From what you have described, I don't see how to configure the piping properly without cutting a section out of your existing piping, and it is probably 4" pipe you are looking at (cast iron?) and you are reluctant to cut into that I assume. Some pictures would be helpful to see how it can best be done.
How to drain a utility sink that is in basement?-sizing3-001.jpg

How to drain a utility sink that is in basement?-sizing3-002.jpg

How to drain a utility sink that is in basement?-sizing3-003.jpg

How to drain a utility sink that is in basement?-sizing3-004.jpg[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/COEI/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/latest/latest%20068.jpg[/IMG]