How Do You Pros Keep Your Primer So Neat!?! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

How do you pros keep your primer so neat!?!

Just a thread about something that's been bugging me...

When I bought my home, I had a plumbing-friend redo my entire cookie-cutter 50's ranch in CPVC. He did a fantastic job. All the joints are nice and tidy.

I've done a little around-the-house PVC work over the years and I love the stuff. There's something strangely satisfiying gluing those pieces together.

However, I always seem to drip the primer everywhere. The stuff is like working with paint thinner. It has no surface tension whatsoever. My joints always seem to have drips and runs.

What is the secret?

Advertisement

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

When working with small pipe, I shake the dauber inside the can to get most of it off. If i'm working outside once it's out of the can, I give it a little bit stronger of a shake into the dirt. The dauber typically holds way too much primer for a single joint.

The other trick is to lean your dauber uphill as well as the joint that you're priming if possible so that the primer wants to run back down the dauber wire and to the can lid rather than all over the pipe or fitting.

It takes practice most of all, and after a while you learn how much needs to be on the dauber to not make a sloppy mess.

Good luck.

Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
Just a thread about something that's been bugging me...

When I bought my home, I had a plumbing-friend redo my entire cookie-cutter 50's ranch in CPVC. He did a fantastic job. All the joints are nice and tidy.

I've done a little around-the-house PVC work over the years and I love the stuff. There's something strangely satisfiying gluing those pieces together.

However, I always seem to drip the primer everywhere. The stuff is like working with paint thinner. It has no surface tension whatsoever. My joints always seem to have drips and runs.

What is the secret?
Things like this are trade secrets, that's why we go to school for 4 years and get paid the big bucks
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 546

They do sell clear primer.
Most pro do not use it on permited jobs because the inspector needs to see that it was primed.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (02-29-2012)