Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

How do you hook up a water line for in icemaker?

I am getting a new refrigirator with an icemaker for the first time. The house that I have has copper tubing coming up from the basement, through the floor, where the new unit will be. In the basement the water line has a compression fitting water shutoff valve presently in place. The other end of the copper line(through the floor where the new refrigrator will be) has nothing connected to it.

Questions: is the compression fitting the water shutoff of choice and what else do I have to do to the copper line to prepare to hook up to the new icemaker? Also is there some sort of water filter that can be attached to the water line to filter the water or does the filter in the icemaker suffice?

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
I own my dream cough home

Our fridge has a saddle valve attached to the cold line in the basement. We do not have a filter on the line. The valve has been leak free for years and years, I'd say 10+ years. You'd have to get the valve and whatever parts are necessary to hook it up. Picture and video below

Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Owner

A saddle valve will fail. It's inevitable and not recommended. If your pipe coming through the floor is 1/2" copper all you'll need is a 5/8"x1/4" compression straight stop and a supply line.

If your 1/2" copper comes up inside the wall then you can buy a recessed valve box kit. It will come with the ice maker box, and 1/4 turn shut off valve. Not sure if they make one of these in a compression fitting so would require soldering, and are tricky so that you don't melt the box in the process.

Does the "compression type valve" you mentioned downstairs have 1/4" soft copper coming off it?

Last edited by LateralConcepts; 06-20-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: inside wall
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #4

The line coming from the basement does not come up through the wall. Just through a hole in the ceiling(floor).

Does the "compression type valve" you mentioned downstairs have 1/4" soft copper coming off it? I believe that it is 1/4". I have attached a picture of the shut off valve and the copper pipe coming out from it. Hopefully that helps with what needs to be done. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Owner

Hard to tell from your picture, but appears to be 3/8" soft copper.

The easy way out would be to simply get a 3/8" X 1/4" compression coupling (union) and a supply line.

Looks like this:
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-27607/Detail
Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

If the line coming up through the floor is 1/4" all you have to do is buy a 1/4" x1/4" compression coupling and upstairs attach a small roll of 1/4" copper to the piece coming through the floor (about 10 feet rolled up and then just install the other end of the roll to the refrigerator which is usually 1/4" compression that is already on the reefer. The reason you want the roll is to pull it out for service and cleaning without shutting it off .
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Owner

Easier yet would be a stainless steel braided ice maker supply line. I think they come in lengths up to 10'.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #8

When you say use a braided hose, where do you attach the hose? Does it get attached from the end of the copper tubing that is coming out of the floor in the kitchen and then attached to the back of the fridge? Or should the braided hose be attached from the one end of the shutoff valve through the floor up through the floor to the back of the fridge? Just clarfying. Thanks for all of the help!!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Owner

Probably easiest just to use a compression coupling connecting to the copper coming through the floor. It will need to be 3/8" reducing to 1/4" then connect your supply line to that. The supply line will be 1/4" comp. thread on each end and will vary in lengths. Pick one that is plenty long enough that you can pull the fridge out away from the wall if you have to.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!