How Do You Fix A Leaky Shower Valve? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do you fix a leaky shower valve?

Hi, I have a leaky shower valve and I'm trying to find a way to either tighten it or replace it without going into the wall.

If you take a look at the pictures you can see two nuts in a single valve, one in front of the other. With the tools I have I can only work the front nut (which is screwed into the other) and as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything except make the knob easier or harder to turn. If I wanted to get to the rear nut it looks like I would need some sort of massive extension hex tool.

Is the rear nut the key to tightening or replacing the valve or am I simply stuck having to go through the wall? I live in southern California so I'm trying to get this thing fixed as soon as possible. I appreciate any help you guys can provide, thanks.

Advertisement

applebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I see a drip between the valve shaft and the packing nut, indicating a loose or bad packing. Tighten the nut until you feel resistance when turning the shaft. That is usually sufficient to stop leakage around the packing. It always helps to clean off and lubricate the shaft, where it contacts the packing.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #3

Actually that drip probably came from the shower head. I should clarify that by 'leaky valve' I meant that water still comes out the of shower head even after completely turning the knob off (shutting off the valve). Sorry for the confusion.

I ended up buying a cheap shut-off valve from HD and it's slowed the water down but unfortunetly the shut-off valve isn't a tight seal. Anyone have any ideas along this line?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Leak Master

Rewards Points: 25

You have to remove the whole assembly. Then replace the washer and possibly the seat. Turn the whole brass assembly, counterclockwise until it comes out then, go to hardware and get appropriate size washer(Pig nose or flat). DO NOT forget to check the brass seat (Inside the body of the faucet). If you replace the washer and the seat is jagged, it will just leak again in a short time.
O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too familiar with this kind of thing so could you help me put it into layman's terms?

To 'remove the whole assembly' am I going to have to rotate the rear nut counter-clockwise? If so, where can I find a socket that will be long enough to reach it? Will I find the 'seat' inside the assembly or is it something that is already visible from the outside (just so I can get a better idea as to what I'm looking for)?

While I'm waiting for a response I'll take a look at some plumbing diagrams online to learn more about the parts I need. Hopefully that will make it easier for you guys to help me.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Leak Master

Rewards Points: 25

1. Shut water off(whole house), or your going to get a nasty surprise.
2. Turn the nut closest to the wall, if you turn the other, only that nut will come off.
3. You do not need a socket, you will need to get a seat wrench(looks kinda like a 90degree allen wrench), hardware guy will know.
Attached Images

O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #7

Well I just fixed the valve. I had to get a shower valve socket to remove the valve stem before I could get to the seat, but everything was fine from there. As advised I replaced the seat and packing and now there are no leaks anywhere. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement