Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Share |

how do the pros always get thier propane torch to light easily. I always have trouble

I love this site.
I have solderd several times and used my torch for other things and nearly always have trouble lighting the darn thing. or it goes out.

I use two diff. strikers with a cup and without. I like the without cause it generaly sparks easily but is less succesful at lighting. The cup one is annoying to get a spark from but lights more often for me. Too many times like tonight, i wear my hand out trying to light the torch. It is clean, and ther is propane.

I thought you were not supposed to use a lighter, but I dont remember what the safety isssue was. So I dont use one. i saw a utube today and the guy used a lighter. so I went with a lighter today and got light everytime right away.

Another problem that happens sometimes is the flame goes out. Sometimes I was sure due to the space that there was air issues?? other times I have not idea. It would be good to know what to watch out for.

so some of you must know the tricks and the reasons. can you educate me on propane torch use.

papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
DIY staff

how do the pros always get thier propane torch to light easily. I always have trouble

Pressure--you need to figure out how little it takes to light the flame and then turn up the gas to use the torch.

Why does the flame go out? Pressure---as you tip the tank the pressure changes and the flame will often blow out ---

Most pros use a torch with a long hose,so the tank is always in the upright position---this way the tip pressure remains constant.----It is also easier to get the flame where you want it because the torch head is smaller---Mike---

papason (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Buy a trigger light torch,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Buy a trigger light torch,....

Itís the only way to go!

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
In a little over my head

Papason,
I had the same problem with "entry level" propane torches; for years. For my last (current) project, I bought a Bernzomatic metal bodied, Mapp torch with a trigger igniter. HOLY COW! SO MUCH BETTER than what I'd been fighting with. It'll make you feel like a pro, instead of an inept amateur. Safer, too, because you won't be tempted to set it down, on.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I use one of these

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM6215826902

papason (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

Mike explained it well,I have two of the instant trigger torches and about half dozen of the old style ones laying around,funny thing is I don't know how I acquired so many of the old ones?
My MAPP torch has a 5 foot hose on it.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

I like my acetylene B-tank- multiple tips for soldering and brazing
Not very handy in a crawlspace tho. There I use mapp gas with a built in striker.
Like any tool- buy the best and take care of it
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #9

Next time I have enough soldering to do so I can justify the purchase, I will get the kind with a hose. Been wanting one anyway. Also been thinking of the trigger stirke ones. Do I need to look other than say home depot. Have not seen a lot of variety, will a specialty store have something made better. Mine is all brass seems fine but I think it is a Bernzomatic, would have to look.

Still sometimes,and I do/did adjust the pressure, when you put the flame in a spot it snuffs out. dunno, maybe it was pressure still.

Not sure if there is a joke in there or not. get a bigger torch.
papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Like any tool- buy the best and take care of it
My MAPP torch is a hand me down that is about 30 or 40 years old and works like new,gota love god tools.

Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote