Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #1

Share |

how do i tell what size "rough in" my current toilet is?

i need to get a new toilet and i know that my rough-in is 14". the problem is i don't have a lot of room in front of the toilet and if i put in a 12" rough-in toilet i believe it will extend further another 2". but...it's possible that the current toilet i have that needs replacing is already a 12" rough-in toilet. in that case, if i replace with another 12" i'll be fine in front. the problem is i can't tell what size rough-in my current toilet is. there is no model number on the toilet and i can't find any info online (it's a "marina" brand). any ideas on how i can measure my toilet to tell if it is a 12" or 14"? i know the floor is a 14" rough-in but i have no idea what the rough-in on the toilet is. thanks!

the measurements i took of the current toilet is 27" from back of tank to front of bowl. from the back of tank to the wall is about 4" which makes me think maybe it's a 12" rough-in toilet?

liverlipsyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Can't say myself - maybe one of the pros will chime in. Some toilets, including those in my house, have an adjustable tank to account for differing roughins.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

Measure from the wall to the center of the mounting bolts, and from the center of the mounting bolts to the front of the toilet, write those down, and take them to the store with you.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

here's what i'm thinking. right now there is a 4" gap between back of tank and wall. there is 14" from wall to bolt. so, does that mean the toilet is probably a 10" rough-in toilet? and would that mean that if i put in a 12" rough-in toilet it would stick out another 2"?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

Nope. The rough-in of a toilet is measured to the center of the hole and the bolts should be roughly where the center of the hole is. Therefore when you say you've already measured the bolts, and they're 14" from the back wall and you have 4" from the back of the tank to the wall, it sounds to me like there was a floor joist in the way that accounts for the difference or someone used an offset flange on the original install.

Normally there's ~ 1 or so between the back of the tank and the finished wall. Dexter's suggestion is spot on as there are different styles of toilet bowls to consider (elongated, round, etc...) if is it's tight space you're dealing with.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #6

Measure from mounting holes in the bowl to back of tank to determine existing toilet rough in
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Measure from mounting holes in the bowl to back of tank to determine existing toilet rough in
thanks! do you mean the bolts the hold the toilet to the flange?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Yes, those bolts
liverlipsyyz (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Yes, those bolts
okay. i think that measurement is 10". so i assume my current toilet is a 10" rough-in sitting on a 14" rough-in floor. i'm guessing they used 10" because the toilette is between the vanity and the wall and in the back corner of the wall must be a pipe they dry walled. so the tank does not fit right against the back wall anyway, because of that bit of corner they had to dry wall. am i to assume that if i purchase a 12" rough-in toilet that it will stick out 2" more than my current one? if so, there won't be enough room to stand in front of the toilet. so, i'll have to look for a 10" rough-in toilet?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #10

Maybe not. Your best bet is to measure from the same holes to the front of the bowl and go to a store and measure their toilets to match yours. Or check online catalogs.
liverlipsyyz (06-22-2011)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #11

Ok here's the scoop as far as I read it. You have 14" from finished wall to bolt. You have a 10" rough toilet size, leaving you with a 4" gap between finished wall and back of tank.

Next, here's where I think you're backwards.. If you where to purchase a 12" rough toilet that would shrink your gap by 2 inches. The rough size measurement of toilets is used to determine the distance from flange bolts to finished wall. Consider the following example

Lets say you have 12" from bolts to finish wall, getting a 14" rough toilet wouldn't work because the tank would be holding you from setting the toilet on the flange. Now for instance you buy a 10" toilet, now you have a 2" gap from tank to wall...

In summary getting a larger rough toilet should shrink the gap not make it larger... At least that's how it works in my head.
X10012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10012 View Post
Ok here's the scoop as far as I read it. You have 14" from finished wall to bolt. You have a 10" rough toilet size, leaving you with a 4" gap between finished wall and back of tank.

Next, here's where I think you're backwards.. If you where to purchase a 12" rough toilet that would shrink your gap by 2 inches. The rough size measurement of toilets is used to determine the distance from flange bolts to finished wall. Consider the following example

Lets say you have 12" from bolts to finish wall, getting a 14" rough toilet wouldn't work because the tank would be holding you from setting the toilet on the flange. Now for instance you buy a 10" toilet, now you have a 2" gap from tank to wall...

In summary getting a larger rough toilet should shrink the gap not make it larger... At least that's how it works in my head.
He is wondering if you go from a 10" to a 12" rough in toilet, will the toilet be longer in the front? Yes you will close the gap on the backside of the toilet by 2", but will the front half of the toilet also be longer. If its 2" longer in the back, will it be 2" longer in the front? If so, he will be losing 2" of space for people who use the toilet, and he cant afford to lose that space.

Therefore like people had said, measure from the bolts to the front of the toilet, go look for a 12" rough in toilet, and measure those bolts to the front of the toilet, if its the same, you will not lose any space in the front, you will just close the gap in the back of the toilet by 2".
svaic00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #13

Thanks I am relaxing a toilet and going to by a new one tonight did not even think of measuring from bolts to wall. You all might have just saved me a trip.

stever170 is offline   Reply With Quote