DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   How do I remove this radiator? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/how-do-i-remove-radiator-160661/)

dpostma 10-20-2012 08:11 PM

How do I remove this radiator?
 
Hi all,

With apologies for my newbieness...

I have just converted my home from boiler heat to forced air. My next mission is to remove the (exposed) piping in the basement, and to remove all six cast iron radiators littered across my main and second (top) floor.

I'm really unsure how to proceed. I have a 12" vise grip, and a Sawzall with good new blades. No idea if that will get me where I'm going.

Not sure if this is kosher, but I've made a video of one of the radiators:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxidF...ature=youtu.be

I've tried heaving and hauling on various pieces of that bottom-left section, but almost nothing is budging... only a single nut that seems unrelated to floor fastening.

I don't care about these radiators. Some scrap metal $$$ would be nice, but mostly I want them out.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate the help!

ben's plumbing 10-20-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpostma (Post 1034733)
Hi all,

With apologies for my newbieness...

I have just converted my home from boiler heat to forced air. My next mission is to remove the (exposed) piping in the basement, and to remove all six cast iron radiators littered across my main and second (top) floor.

I'm really unsure how to proceed. I have a 12" vise grip, and a Sawzall with good new blades. No idea if that will get me where I'm going.

Not sure if this is kosher, but I've made a video of one of the radiators:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxidF...ature=youtu.be

I've tried heaving and hauling on various pieces of that bottom-left section, but almost nothing is budging... only a single nut that seems unrelated to floor fastening.

I don't care about these radiators. Some scrap metal $$$ would be nice, but mostly I want them out.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate the help!

if you have good blades ...cut the feed and return pipes off...there on left and right bottom...that will let you take it outside....yes they are heavy... very... some had threaded rods tieing them togeother...cut these rods ...then take chisel between sections pry apart.....as far as old pipes in basement..cut them down....ben sr

dpostma 10-20-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben's plumbing (Post 1034746)
if you have good blades ...cut the feed and return pipes off...there on left and right bottom...that will let you take it outside....yes they are heavy... very... some had threaded rods tieing them togeother...cut these rods ...then take chisel between sections pry apart.....as far as old pipes in basement..cut them down....ben sr

Thanks, Ben. I'm ready for the heaviness... I make up in brawn what I lack in brains. :jester:

ben's plumbing 10-20-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpostma (Post 1034765)
Thanks, Ben. I'm ready for the heaviness... I make up in brawn what I lack in brains. :jester:

take them back for scrap...you"ll be surprised....:laughing::laughing: ben sr


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved