Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do I remove the plumbing for a Washing Machine

I just bought a house. The old owner was a little old lady who had the washer/dryer located in the kitchen. I have relocated the W/D to the basement. I've already run electrical and had the W/D plumbed in(the hookups were already there, I just had to move a 220V outlet).

My question is what do I need to do to remove the plumbing/hookups that is in the wall in the kitchen? The are seperate hot and cold lines. I know nothing about plumbing but have no money to hire a professional. I've searched all over the internet looking for tips but everything is about installing new lines, moving electrical, etc. All I need to do is get rid of the hot and cold water handles( they look like what you would find on an old shower or bathtub, seal the pipes? and re sheetrock.) Can someone help. I'd be extremely grateful. Many thanks-Tom

tdstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,892

You never mentioned what type of pipe you have--Pretty simple, usually,Cut or unscrew --and cap the pipes.

If you can find where the enter the wall from the basement and kill them before they enter the wall ---
all the better.

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I did the install for an older relative a short while back,, tried to keep in mind that I might have to uninstall it in the future. No matter what, you will need to fill-in the hole with sheetrock, (or a nice Picture hung over it) There is a how to site on here. You need to cap off the supply lines, cap off the drain line and maybe disconnect the power for the dryer, if you want to remove the outlet. I guess the big question you need to answer is if you ever might want to put the washer/dryer back in the kitchen. If not, I'd do a complete uninstall, all the way back to where they were added. Decide what you want to do, then ask questions on how to do it,, lots of people here to help you.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks everyone. They are metal/ copper pipes. The basement is open so access is not a problem but there is a bathroom sink on the otherside of the wall so telling which pipes go to what might be tricky. Any tips on that? As far as cutting and capping goes what kind of tools/ supplies will I need? Thanks again this is so helpful.
tdstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,892

TDSTYLES--To figure out which is which-Run the water in the bathroom---the hot water pipe will get hot and the cold will get cold. Double check your self with a ruler if you can.

Tools needed--a tubing cutter for the copper---if you know how to sweat (solder) pipes--a torch ,
sandpaper --two 1/2 caps,flux and solder.

If you are no good at soldering--two 1/2 compression caps and two crescent wrenches.

For the drain---a hacksaw blade---a plastic cap of the same type as the drain pipe and the right primer and glue.

If you can post a picture or two---there are some very helpful folks that will tell you exactly what is needed.-----Mike-----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, removal, washer dryer