Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How do I mount this 60's bathroom wall sink?

I have a 60's or maybe 50's wall mount bathroom sink that I do not know how to mount. I think there is a bracket that was used, but I cannot find a source on the Internet. I have pictures of the sink attached. It has no markings that I can find to indicate the brand. It just has 4 holes in the back along the top and 2 holes on the back along the bottom. There are also recessed holes on either side of the underneath front corners, which I believe are for optional chrome support legs. If anyone knows where I can get the mounting bracket(s) and legs, I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How do I mount this 60's bathroom wall sink?-0802091432a.jpg   How do I mount this 60's bathroom wall sink?-0802091433a.jpg   How do I mount this 60's bathroom wall sink?-0802091433b.jpg  

Roy Rowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #2

Hey Roy,
there are 2 readily available options
Ebay has several different styles:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sin...cket&_osacat=0

or you may have, in your town, a salvage yard for building materials, etc.

it does appear that you will need the legs for the front also but those could be easily fabricated from conduit, aluminum or galvanized pipe or something decorative and ornate like wrought iron.
good luck

faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #3

howdy, this lavatory was often used in govt. and military facilities. The bracket was screwed to the wall ( I recently saw a similar bracket at Lowe's in Hattiesburg, MS) and it only fit in the open space at the back of the sink. It is about 12" long. The holes that go through the back of the sink are to allow lag screws to be placed into the backer board, (which should have been installed in the wall before sheetrock,etc.) for extra support and theft prevention. It may not be necessary to have the legs on if you are using it in your own home, and won't need it as a ladder...
dave herrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #4

The 4 holes in the top of the back do not go through, so it would appear to me that if they were used, it would require a butterfly clip on a carriage bolt coming out from the wall into the sink. The lip in the middle of the back does not look very stout to me. Do you think it is reinforced somehow? By your description, I think the bracket would be a bar that has an upward turned lip, to receive the back lip of the sink. Is that correct? Maybe I'll run it by one of the old local plumbers to see if he can help me.
Thanks
Roy Rowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Yeah there is a bracket that is screwed to the wall that the lav sits on. The bracket has a bend in it that the lav slides down on anchoring it between the wall and the bracket. There are some brackets that are made of steel while others are made of cast iron (which I prefer). Too bad you arent near me. I just put in 10 lavs that went onto carrier arms....didnt use the 10 cast iron brackets that were shipped. Got them in my truck.

Those brackets need to be screwed into something solid. We screw 2 X material in the stud spaces for backing.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #6

Hi, just saw your question. JDC is right on, the bracket has an out turned "lip" across the top that the lav sits on. Only use the 2 holes that go thru the lav near the bottom for lag screws or bolts. This was a common hanger and there should be some around you someplace, even if they are the cheaper but effective steel ones. good luck
dave herrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

i'm assuming you figured out how to mount the sink. but adding this in case someone else is looking for tips and comes across this thread. this kind of retro sink has a lip that hangs from a wall bracket. Best place to find the brackets cheap is if your city/town has any home improvement salvage stores. here in seattle, i got a bracket from a place called Second Use for $2. they also had some other alternatives for mounting and most importantly, a nice lady who knew all about them and had many tips for how to mount the sink and also how to add legs to the front. even if you can't find a salvage store, try a plumbing supply house and they can probably tell you where to find what you need.
missm2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Household Handyman

I also agree with JDC, a bracket mounted securely to the wall the sink hangs on. I have seen these in 1920's era house in my area. The lower holes can be used to add additional wood/lag screws into the wood behind the sink for extra support as long as you do not tighten them to tight--cracked porcelin. Properly mounted you would not need the legs in an average residential application.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom sink wall mount