Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

How do I install this cast iron tub?

I have a new 5ft cast iron tub I bought, a Kohler Highbridge. I am trying to figure out the best way to get this beast installed.

1. I need to move it from the garage, around a few corners through a hallway, and into a bedroom and then into the target bathroom which is connected to the bedroom. How do I best accomplish that? Rent a furniture dolly and borrow an additional friend or 2? Hire 2 big muscle men?

2. After said iron tub is in the bathroom, which is stripped to the studs, how do I install the drain on it when I won't have access to the other side of the wall? Those 2 x 4's that used to be a wall will be removed.

Opinions and experience appreciated.

Tub installation instructions-
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1089498_2.pdf

Drain installation instructions-
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1130615_2.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
How do I install this cast iron tub?-photo.jpg   How do I install this cast iron tub?-diagram.jpg   How do I install this cast iron tub?-photo-2.jpg   How do I install this cast iron tub?-photo-1.jpg  
Attached Images

noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
DIY staff

A 4 wheel furniture dolly is what I usually use---

Some times a 2 wheel appliance dolly---

Some times sliding over Masonite with towels or cloth for the slick surface.

Sometimes just lots of muscle.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
DIY staff

With very careful measuring--you can set the drain before the tub is placed--then add the rubber washers and chrome covers after the tub us set--
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
With very careful measuring--you can set the drain before the tub is placed--then add the rubber washers and chrome covers after the tub us set--
Kinda looks like the drain setting's already done, lets hope the careful measuring is too.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
DIY staff

I think the one pictured is the old one----it's never fun to set up the drain first but is part of the job on a slab---
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I think the one pictured is the old one----it's never fun to set up the drain first but is part of the job on a slab---
Ok, I thought that setting up the drain first was really the only way. I was thinking of pre-fitting the drain on the tub while it's upside down, that way I can cut the copper pipes to the right length. Then set the drain and then push the tub into place. Does that sound like a plan?

Yes, the picture is showing the old drain. Do I just need to cut it off where it almost meets the ground? And then what do I glue on to that now stub of a pvc pipe(which I assume is the top of the p trap that is buried in the ground) that will accept the brass tailpipe from the new drain? The brass drain is shown in my first post with instruction links.

I'm still dreading the actual transportation part of this job. I thought about using a furniture dolly but the length of the tub just won't clear those hallways I drew in my rudimentary sketch. I guess I could try and set it upright on the furniture dolly, but that doesn't sound like the greatest of ideas, even if I had myself and two other guys holding it up. Or I could rent an appliance dolly. I have a hand truck, but it won't support the weight of this beast. The hardest part of this job is just moving it from the garage to the bathroom. I may end up having to hire a plumber just so I don't have to worry about this part, but I really don't want to.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I install this cast iron tub?-photo-6-.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
DIY staff

You may need to dig out that opening a bit-----

I've never moved a cast iron tub without a skirt---that one is going to be a challenge--

An appliance dolly looks like a good tool---you need something five feet tall or more---

I've moved some nasty ones and I have faith in you---that one doesn't look to bad---just a clumsy shape---
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

Whats the best way to cut that drain off? Do I need to glue a female something on to it that will accept the brass tailpipe from the new drain?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
DIY staff

There is a fitting called a trap adapter----it is a male threaded 1 1/2" fitting with a nut and washer. Cut the pipe with whatever tool fits into the hole----a hacksaw blade might be your choice.

There is a special tool available at your plumbing supply house that can remove a pipe from inside of a fitting. It looks a bit like a small paint mixing paddle and are powered by a drill---they work well---someone here might know the name----at $15 to $20 they can be life savers in tight situations like yours.