Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #1

Share |

How do I increase my pressure so I can bleed air?

(some of this is a repost from another problem) I know what I need to do to bleed the air out of my baseboard pipes but I can't seem to get it up to a pressure to make it work right.

I had a plumber come over once and he hooked up a hose between the water heater and that hanging tank. It let me have enough pressure to blast things out quite well. So maybe that's the way to go? I don't know. Any ideas?

Here's some pictures of the system.

Water come in through a yellow pipe with a shut off valve and some sort of weird red pressure thing.

pmacedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #2

Next it goes through the furnace and out the top through a very large pipe. On this pipe is another big red pressure regulator looking valve.

Attached around that point too is a tank that hangs over in the corner. I believe it is to provide pressure. But I have a bad memory.

The water returns from the radiators through two pipes that have two bypass valves (I think that's what it's called). Blue is downstairs, Green is upstairs.

Below this valve it goes back into the furnace and there is a valve at the bottom that does something mysterious to me as well.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #3

What is the PSI reading on the gauge?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #4

PSI is about 12-15 now. If I start to bleed the upstairs loop it drops down closer to 8
Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #5

I didn't see any expansion tank?

12 psi in the basement will be close to zero on the second floor.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #6

I was told that the big grey can looking thing was an expansion tank.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #7

Is there an air valve on the gray tank?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #8

there is a valve on the one side like a hose spigot. You can see it on the left part of the tank in the picture above.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,....... I Guess you decided against putting a Bleeder on the 2nd floor,..??

That grey tank,....
I can see a blue pipe,+ the bib at the bottom,......
Are there any other connections to it,..??
If Not,............ And Only If Not..........
Close the valve on the blue pipe,+ Open the bib....... Let it drain Empty,.....
Then close the bib,+ Open the valve on the blue pipe........
That should renew the tank to a Pressure Tank status.....

In the picture of the big red back-flow preventer, on top of the boiler,....
There's a Blue Pressure Tank in the background,...... Is it plumbed to the boiler System,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

Bondo,
I've looked all over for a bleeder valve that I can put in the upstairs but there's nothing available in my area.

They gray tank has the blue pipe which comes out to a cut off valve and then goes into the heating system at the point where the pipes start heading out to the baseboards.

The spout (bib) on the left is the only other part of the tank that is an inlet or outlet.

The blue tank in the background is hooked into the hot water heater.

So do you think that the tank has water in it as a result of what the plumber did?
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Master General ReEngineer

Nope,...... I think the grey tank has water in it from Time...........

The blue pipe comes From the heating system to the grey tank,..... If there's just Air in the tank, it has nowhere to go,+ compresses,.... hence, Pressure tank.....
If you Close the Valve on the Blue Pipe coming from the heating system, It isolates the heating system, so it Won't drain when the Bib in the tank is opened,+ drains the grey tank.......

As far as just Fixing the 2nd floor, so it's Bleedable,..........

I'm Sure that there's somewhere(Preferably at the Highest Point) the line can be Cut,+ fitted with an Air Bleeder.........
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #12

Ugh.. dealing with a flooded basement at the moment. Shutting the bib on the gray tank and opening the blue pipe valve should make the pressure go back right???
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #13

So... I did the thing you recommended.. Now I seem to be screwed... I must have down something terribly wrong.
Pressure is back up but the overflow is still draining.. I can't get it to stop to save my life..
if anyone anyone is out there please help!!
No plumbers are answering my calls and I am stuck having to drain a bucket every 25 minutes...
Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 AM   #14

sigh.. ok my panic has subsided somewhat.. I've spent my time babysitting the pressure relief valve by looking up some info online. I looked up 'leaking pressure relief valve' and found this http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=168753

It comments on the fact that a steel expansion tank can get water in it and if it does that can make the relief valve 'leak'

So here's what I am observing.

1) Pressure is at 12psi. Never more, though sometimes less depending on what I have been doing to the system.
2) The expansion tank is a big ol metal thing hanging from the rafters.
3) I have been told that it should be empty. So I tried emptying it earlier today. It always seemed to have just a little bit more. But I think I got it out.
4) Once I found that the relief valve was leaking and thus flooding my basement, I did a bunch of things to try and stop it. Stupidly I cut on and off various valves and such. While it was leaking the pressure was at zero.

5) I just went to check the expansion tank. I shut the valve from the tank to the boiler and hooked up a hose to the spigot. There was a LOT of water that came out. Initially it was gross and yellowish. Then it burped a bit and out came blacker than death water. It was not as much as the yellow. But it was still a significant amount.

6) I shut the spigot and opened the valve to the boiler. Upon doing so I could hear bubbling like water was trying to get into the expansion tank. I could also hear that the supply water was flowing into the boiler. Made it seem as though there was something the system had to fill up. Perhaps the tank once more?

7) I read somewhere online that the steel tanks should be about 1/2 full of water. I have no idea where I saw that though. Likely I was halucinting since everyone else says it should always be empty.

8) Just for kicks I decided a few seconds ago to see if the tank had water in it once again. Closed the valve between the tank and the boiler. Out came the blackness once more.

9) (this numbering is getting silly) The leaking water has become a drip rather than a trickle.

Ugh.. anyone that can offer up something of a solution would be greatly appreciated. I know I am an idiot when it comes to plumbing but I really want to learn it. I've put in a bathroom on my own but I an not good at repairs or add ons to things that are already there. I can do just about anything else in the house. Plumbing scares the crap out of me though for reasons like this one here. If anyone has a suggestion for books or resources that I can get up to speed on ahead of time I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

I need sleep badly so I am going to go to sleep for an hour or so and hopefully the bucket wont overflow.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #15

All is well this morning.. Fingers still crossed though.
Nothing more is coming from the pressure release valve. Still going to need to sort out the air in pipes though.