How Do I Drain My Water Heater? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Seasoned DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

How do I drain my water heater?

I need to remove my water heater, but I don't know where I would drain it to. It is in the laundry room next to the washer sitting at floor level and I don't have anywhere low enough to drain to.

Washer drain house is in the wall.

Could I use a garden hose attached to the bottom, then shove it down the washer drainage so that the tip is lower than the bottom of water heater, then open the drain, a faucet, then shut off water supply to water heater and hope that water will siphon out?

If I recall correctly, as long as there is water already flowing and point of drain is lower than the water level, having an inverse U higher than water level doesn't affect the siphon.

Advertisement

HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do you have a shower or an outside door nearby? I always run a garden hose to one of these areas. Siphoning could be a long process.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I use a small pump to drain water heaters. It will push water uphill and does it faster. Big box stores have small pumps for not too much money.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Open hot faucets upstairs. Take the drain hose and put it into the laundry tub or even into the washing machine. In the case of the latter you would have to start the spin cycle once or twice to empty out the washing machine before it overflows and be careful you don't get the hose and the agitator tangled.

You will drain the tank reasonably quickly down to the level of the hose as it loops over the side of the tub or machine. If you are lucky you will drain the tank down to the level of the end of the hose inside the tub or machine.

If the flow stops, take the hose out, lay the end on the floor, and when water comes out put your finger on the end and put the hose back into the tub/machine. After two unsuccessful tries of this, go on to the next paragraph.

Now there is only a small amount of water left in the tank that has to be emptied out a bucket at a time. Instead of turning the little valve under the tank so many times which can wear it out, leave the hose on and lift the end of the hose up and hang it on the pipes on top of the tank between bucketfuls.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
secutanudu (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Simply hook up a air comp to the T&P tapping, close the coldsupply valve, hook up hose and place end at desired discharge location. Open the boiler drain and turn on compressor. It doesn't take much air. Works good if you have sediment too.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Ltnicks (11-10-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Seasoned DIYer

Washing machine, then a five gallon bucket it is. I'll get it light enough to move it, then I'm just going to let her pee away once I get it outside
Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Seasoned DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Simply hook up a air comp to the T&P tapping, close the coldsupply valve, hook up hose and place end at desired discharge location. Open the boiler drain and turn on compressor. It doesn't take much air. Works good if you have sediment too.
I don't have a compressor. Can I hook up a can of R-22 refrigerant instead to push out the water?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_NW View Post
I don't have a compressor. Can I hook up a can of R-22 refrigerant instead to push out the water?
No!

Wasteful, and it won't last long enough. And get poison gas (yes, Freon is poisonous to breathe) all over the place.

If so much sediment had accumulated inside the tank that the bottom drain valve doesn't work at all, a few squirts of air up the drain valve from a tire hand pump may be enough to loosen things up.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-15-2010 at 09:28 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Seasoned DIYer

Drainage went fine. The bottom thing was clogged, however I was able to punch out the heat trap on cold side and attach long hose leading outside with the end lower than the bottom of water heater. I initiated the water flow using an inert non-flammable gas that shall remain unnamed into the hot side. I got the siphon going and water siphoned out up the dip tube and after about an hour it drained fine.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Thanks, this is the best chuckle I've had all week!

Advertisement

chayce is offline   Reply With Quote