Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

How difficult to remove a kitchen sink?

Hi;
I would like to pull the sink out of the counter in the kitchen so that I can replace the drain and faucet. Doing this without removing the sink would be impossible, as it is a nightmare to reach the connections to the faucets, and I am unable to work in that position for any period of time.

It looks like the sink is held in by some tabs underneath, which are screwed on.
Should I be able to pull the sink out if I remove the plumbing connections, then unscrew the tabs?

My next question is how much does a single tub stainless steel kitchen sink weigh? I wouldn't expect more than 50lbs, but I've never worked with one before.

Thanks for your advice

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #2

I would guess that the sink would weigh about 20 pounds.

The sink may be cemented down, or even plumber's putty will require some prying after you unscrew the metal tabs.

They make a tool called a basin wrench that has a long stem, a sliding T handle at one end, and an adjustable claw at the other end so you can undo and redo the nuts and threaded collars of typical top mounted sink and washbasin faucets while lying underneath.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-13-2008 at 08:34 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #3

If you disconnect the plumbing and remove the clips, you are then ready to remove the sink. If it was sealed around the edges with silicone, it is going to be a difficult process of prying and being careful not to bend the edges. If it is sealed with Plumbers putty, a little less difficult. The weight is minor. I have a double bowl, 20 gauge, 22x33" stainless sink that weighs less than 20 pounds. I agree with using a Basin Wrench. It will reach up between the sink and wall to undo the nuts that hold the faucet in place.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

I hear what you are saying about the position needed to change out the faucet, even after all the work you are going to go through to take out the sink, you'll need to get in there anyway, although you won't have to be laying on your back, to connect the water supply lines and the drain pipes. clear everything out from under the cabinet, and away from legs flying, get a good flashlight that will shine up and a basin wrench., and yes, your back will know that you rested it on the edge of the cabinet.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #5

Hey guys;
Thanks for the advice.
I think I already have a sink wrench, but somehow I thought it might actually be easier to have the sink out to remove/install the new faucet.
I have a problem with my knees, so as long as I don't bend or twist I may be OK. Another problem I have is a low tolerance to things like rusted on fittinge, etc.

For now, I have to consider doing the job myself, or it won't get done. With all that has gone wrong in the financial markets, I have no money to pay a pro for this job<g>.

When I'm in a real good, and energetic mood, I'll get under there and see what I can do.
If I find that I can turn the fittings, I'll go out and buy a new faucet and drain.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

just put it on the "to do list". It's a lot easier to make the change when the sink is out, but not if you are taking the sink out just to change the faucet. I agree with you on the corroded connectors, starts off easy enough and goes downhill from there, anyway, good luck on your project.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
just put it on the "to do list". It's a lot easier to make the change when the sink is out, but not if you are taking the sink out just to change the faucet. I agree with you on the corroded connectors, starts off easy enough and goes downhill from there, anyway, good luck on your project.
I picked up Rex Cauldwell's book "Plumbing" and found his section on sink drains and faucets interesting and educational.
He has made special tools from common supplies that help out. He also has a nice method of installing the sink drain, putting the trap at the back of the cabinet, out of the way. I think when I do mine, I will follow his guides.

Thank you, and everyone else who has given me advice here. I have to agree that removing the sink would have been kind of like removing the car's engine just so that I don't have to crawl under to change the oil.
Since this is not yet an emergency, I have some time to plan, and select the right day for the job.