DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   how to deal with the cheap toilet seat flushing system (

KUIPORNG 12-13-2007 12:13 PM

how to deal with the cheap toilet seat flushing system
I purchased a low end toilet for the basement. it is small. the tank use some old fashion techology like a cap which got pulled up by a chain then water got flush down.... it works for a few months.

now the cap leak waster, so water constant running down to the bowl....I cutoff water supply for now, turn off the switch..

what is the best plan of attack to this ?

1. replace the cap? I kind of find it hard to believe that a cap alone can block off water from running down though... but if this is the proper way... then I will do that.

2. replace the tank with a higher quality one like "American Standard-flush master"...etc.

3. replace the internal core part with a higher quality one although this means using the similar cap blocking technology....


redline 12-13-2007 12:35 PM

Can you post a photo of the "cap"?

Sounds like you just need to replace the "flapper"

Less than $5.

Rehabber 12-13-2007 12:42 PM

Sounds to me like the fill valve has gotten debris inside. Got old galv pipes? sometimes you can remove the top of the valve and clean out the junk, or replace with a new one.

KUIPORNG 12-13-2007 02:07 PM

I see... after searching the web, I know what you meant... just a bit worry the "flapper" is not the standard one, as it is not flat when closing... the hole is kind of has a 30 degree slope, so when closing the flapper is line 30 degree slope.... don't know the standard will work for this type of design.... anyway... will visit HD to find out... thanks...

redline 12-13-2007 03:49 PM

browse this site.

KUIPORNG 12-14-2007 10:12 AM

Got it resolve, take it out, clean it, find out there is a small plastic thread being stuck in causing the gap, the plastic thread probably loose out from some part then got flow into the flapper by water.... the key is able to know this thing called "flapper" and able to research on the internet once know this name... and got it resolved..... trust me... many people will simply called a plumber or go away and buy a new tank when facing this situation.... I used to do that ....

redline 12-14-2007 05:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1